Tuesday, September 16, 2014
On one hand, I receive email newsletters from Conservatives that state that ISIS is trying to cross the border into the United States near Mexico / Texas. On the other hand, I receive email newsletters from Liberals that state that ISIS is NOT trying to cross the border into the United States near Mexico / Texas.
So what to believe? Is it possible both are correct - that this group of terrorists are crossing while simultaneously not crossing?
Bill O'Reilly's "Talking Points" memo doesn't concern the sub-issue of ISIS crossing our border, but it does address another alarming idea: the United States is at war. That's the reality. However, since it's an election year and since the presidential candidates for 2016 (Hilary Clinton for the Democrats; Jeb Bush for the Conservatives) are grooming the public for an announcement and because the elections next month will determine if the Republicans will be able to control both the House and Senate and because President Obama doesn't want to leave his successor a war and because of the nightmare (not just political, but in general) called war, there's a lot of uncertainty. Read the Talking Points memo and decide for yourself here.
Monday, September 15, 2014
- Under It and Over It
- Burn It Down
- Hard to See
- Lift Me Up
- Bad Company
- Burn MF
- Remember Everything
- Coming Down
- Never Enough
- The Bleeding
- House of the Rising Sun
Per Bleacher Report, Adrian Peterson is expected to play in week 3 vs. the New Orleans Saints.
Sunday, September 14, 2014
Saturday, September 13, 2014
Thursday, September 11, 2014
- ~100 CDs that I *think* I converted, but since I'm not sure, I'm auditing them.
- ~100 CDs that I *think* must all have the song and artist information added manually.
- ~100 CDs that are either custom made mix CDs or Life CDs, which I have written about previously on this blog.
If the President is cautious and doesn't have a strategy, he's berated by the media for not being a leader. Now, the President has stood in front of the American people and stated he does have a strategy and when the details are stated, he's berated by the media for getting involved. Both the Fox News channel (currently, where I go for Conservative-based political commentary) and MSNBC (currently, where I go for Liberal-based political commentary) were critical of the President's speech last night.
I mean, really, what is the guy supposed to do? He's authentically damned if he doesn't do anything and damned if he does. This article describes the President of the United States as being caught masturbating in its analysis. Don't get me wrong - Erick Erickson usually writes what I believe about President Obama, but I don't think that is an appropriate example.
Wednesday, September 10, 2014
Judas Priest, Alterbridge, Theory of a Deadman, Pop Evil, Otherwise, Fuel all at the same concert?!? And the next day, seeing Five Finger Death Punch, Volbeat, Buck Cherry, Papa Roach, P.O.D., and HellYeah in concert?!? I haven't read the details, but I hope there isn't three stages going at the same time.
Tuesday, September 9, 2014
The ISIS fear, spurred by the beheadings of two American journalists, has seeped into public opinion.
Here's how I would edit the same sentence:
The ISIS fear has seeped into public opinion spurred by the beheadings of two American journalists.
Another way to edit it would be like this:
Spurred by the beheadings of two American journalists, the ISIS fear has seeped into public opinion.
Monday, September 8, 2014
Saturday, September 6, 2014
Friday, September 5, 2014
Rest In Peace.
Thursday, September 4, 2014
- There's the influx of people - some say "illegal immigrants" or "refugees" or some other term that suits the moment - crossing our border. We, as a country, do not know what to do about it. Some want to immediately grant amnesty, as argued by Brian Beutler, not only because it would be good policy but also good politics.
- The country is also healing from the death of Michael Brown in Ferguson, MO. This article highlights a number of tragedies that has come from this situation. Coupled with that, there's the issue of race in America and the belief that there is racial profiling, which Ann Coulter takes a stab at dissecting in this article.
- There's ISIS and the beheading of a second American. Those assholes think that killing Americans is good. They are bad people. Is the solution to eliminate the evil of ISIS by force? Perhaps, as argued in this article.
- President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia is unafraid of President Obama and unafraid of doing anything he wants to do when it comes to the Ukraine. This article outlines the seven steps that are necessary for a cease-fire.
The BizarreApparently, celebrities put nude photos of themselves in the Cloud and someone hacked it and posted them. James Patrick, the current Rock 108 DJ I listen to on the way from Karen's work to my work, stated that there is already a television show about this crisis.
Wednesday, September 3, 2014
"Following a video by Malik King, in which the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge is converted into the Pull Your Pants Up challenge, CNN contributor Marc Lamont Hill argued the challenge internalized the idea that black men bear a partial responsibility for attracting undue police attention."
Dressing appropriately has NOTHING to do with race!
Tuesday, September 2, 2014
From NBC News:"The Islamist militant group ISIS has killed another American journalist, Steven Sotloff, just one week after his mother was seen pleading for his life. Sotloff, 31, wrote for Time magazine and disappeared in August, 2013. In a video released today, his executioner appeared to be the same militant who killed American journalist James Foley."
The SECOND American, Steven Sotloff, has been beheaded by ISIS. Nukes? Anyone got one for these bastards? Obviously, they do not respect human life. And yes, I know that is not the Christian response. At the moment, though, I'm peeved that we seem to have had war declared upon us and it's still being debated in a committee (or so it would seem).
Read more at this link: http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/isis-terror/isis-beheads-american-journalist-steven-sotloff-monitoring-group-says-n193936
And more at this link: http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/isis-terror/u-s-will-degrade-destroy-isis-militants-obama-says-n194411
- weed out any duplicate files
- consolidate the files on the MyCloud partitions
- audit all CDs converted
Monday, September 1, 2014
Nothing beats spending time with my wife and her family in a camper as it rains outside. 12 of us. Lou, Susie, mark, Karen and Megan playing cards, Jonathan and Danny and Tyler on handheld devices, Alex and Jean finding a game on television, barb and I sitting on the couch.
My imdb.com app is getting a workout.
On another note, talking with Mark R and Steve R was a highlight of this weekend. Another was going to Guardians of the Galaxy at the Elkader theater yesterday at 330 with Megan. A third highlight was not going to bed and then waking up with a terrible headache that 2 Aleve hasn't taken away.
It's not even 1 PM and I am already thinking about Vanessa's issue with Confluence. When she tries to export to PDF, there's a table that gets cut off. I think there is a way to make it work but I don't know what it is at the moment. I'm hoping to get back home fairly early so I can try to figure it out.
I'm also anxious to get home so I can see if the RoboCopy job that I left running when we left the house on Saturday morning has been completed. If it's done, I think I will be able to resume the task of consolidating the files on the MyCloud drive to some sort of structure that makes sense. I created such a mess. Each of the two times I had an external hard drive fail resulted in copying duplicates to more than one of the partitions. My goal is to reduce the number of duplicates and reduce the space being used.
It's unclear whether the plans outlined above will come to fruition.
Sunday, August 31, 2014
Friday, August 29, 2014
New Wave 80s Rock Covers
Ring of Fire cover
70s Punk Rock covers
Buddy Holly Covers
Song Name -- Artist (original artist)
- All These Things That I've Done -- Killers
- Bad Case of Loving You -- Robert Palmer
- Basket Case -- Green Day
- Blister in the Sun -- Violent Femmes
- Blitzkreig Bop -- Ramones
- Brown Eyed Girl -- Van Morrison
- Brown Sugar -- Rolling Stones
- Dancing Queen -- Yayhoos (ABBA)
- Dancing With Myself -- Billy Idol
- Don't Change -- INXS
- Fight For Your Right -- Beastie Boys
- Folsom Prison Blues -- Johnny Cash
- Hey Jealousy -- Gin Blossoms
- Hot Stuff -- Cockroach (Donna Summer)
- I Ran -- A Flock of Seagulls
- I Saw Her Standing There -- Beatles
- I Wanna Be Sedated -- Ramones
- I Will Survive -- Shout (Gloria Gaynor)
- I'm a Believer -- Smash Mouth (Monkeys)
- I'm Gonna Be, 500 Miles -- Proclaimers
- Interstate Love Song -- Stone Temple Pilots
- I've Been Everywhere -- Johnny Cash
- Jenny / 867-5309 -- Tommy Tutone
- Jet Airliner -- Steve Miller
- Johnny B Goode -- Chuck Berry
- Just Like Heaven -- Cure
- Lola -- Kinks
- Lonely Boy -- Black Keys
- Love Her Madly -- The Doors
- Margaritaville -- Jimmy Buffet
- Melt With You -- Modern English
- Mony Mony -- Billy Idol
- Oh Boy -- Crickets (Buddy Holly)
- Paranoid -- Black Sabbath
- Pump It Up -- Elvis Costello
- Ring of Fire -- Social Distortion (Johnny Cash)
- Rock and Roll All Nite -- Kiss
- Rockin' in the Free World -- Neil Young
- Rock'n Me -- Steve Miller
- Santa Monica -- Everclear
- Should I Stay or Should I Go -- Clash
- Squeeze Box -- Who
- Still Rock and Roll to Me -- Billy Joel
- Sweet Caroline -- Neil Diamond
- Train in Vain (Stand By Me) -- Clash
- Two Princes -- Spin Doctors
- What I Like About You -- Romantics
- When the Sun Goes Down -- Kenny Chesney
- Wonderful Tonight -- Eric Clapton
- You May Be Right -- Billy Joel
- Your Mama Can't Dance -- Poison (Loggins and Messina)
- For next rehearsal
- It's the End of the World -- REM
- Angie -- Rolling Stones
- A Hard Day's Night -- Beatles
- Accidentally In Love -- Counting Crows
- All Shook Up -- Elvis
- All the Small Things -- Blink 182
- An American Girl -- Tom Petty
- Angie -- Rolling Stones
- Authority Song -- John Mellencamp
- Break Up Song -- Greg Kihn
- Burning Love -- Elvis
- Bus Stop -- Hollies
- Cars -- Gary Numan
- Come Out and Play -- Offspring
- Crazy Little Thing Called Love -- Queen
- Crocodile Rock -- Elton John
- Day Tripper -- Cheap Trick (Beatles)
- Don't Be Cruel -- Elvis
- Driver 8 -- REM
- Fortunate Son -- Creedence Clearwater Revival
- Go All the Way -- Raspberries
- Good Girls Don't -- Knack
- Hello Mary Lou -- Creedence Clearwater Revival (Ricky Nelson)
- I Fought the Law -- Clash (Crickets)
- I Love Rock n Roll -- Joan Jett
- I Wanna Be With You -- Raspberries
- I Want to Hold Your Hand -- Beatles
- I'm Yours -- Jason Mraz
- It's Not My Time -- 3 Doors Down
- Know Your Enemy -- Green Day
- Kodachrome -- Paul Simon
- La Bamba -- Los Lobos (Ritchie Valens)
- Lay Down Sally -- Eric Clapton
- Monster Mash -- Bobby "Boris" Pickett
- Mrs Robinson -- Lemonheads (Simon/Garfunkel)
- Oh Pretty Woman -- Roy Orbison
- Photograph -- Ringo Starr
- Promises -- Eric Clapton
- Puppy Love -- Donny Osmond
- Red Solo Cup -- Toby Keith
- Rock and Roll Music -- Beatles (Chuck Berry)
- ROCK in the USA -- John Mellencamp
- Run Rudolph Run -- Bryan Adams (Chuck Berry)
- Running Down a Dream -- Tom Petty
- Seven Nation Army -- White Stripes
- Sex and Candy -- Marcy Playground
- Shake Your Booty -- KC & Sunshine Band
- Shama Lama Ding Dong -- Lloyd Williams (Animal House)
- Somebody to Love -- Jefferson Airplane
- Surrender -- Cheap Trick
- Suspicious Minds -- Elvis
- Teddy Bear -- Elvis
- That'll be the Day -- Buddy Holly
- The More I Drink -- Blake Shelton
- They Say Its Your Birthday -- Beatles
- Twist and Shout -- Beatles
- Upside Down -- Jack Johnson
- Vertigo -- U2
- Who Says You Can't Go Home -- Bon Jovi
- Wild Child -- Chris Ocasek (Crickets)
Thursday, August 28, 2014
4 Piece rock cover band in CR looking for pro drummer. Preferably 35-50.
Classic rock, modern rock, a little rockin' country maybe to tease the ladies and maybe some pop here and there. However, it's mainly geared around 80's 90's and today's rock.
practice on average once a week, gig approximately twice to three times a month. Probably gig more in the fall and winter, then we like to take some time off for summer and play outdoor fests/gigs then. All in our early 40's and have decades of experience. We're looking for a dedicated drummer with experience. Plus if you have backup vocals and/or venue connections, but not a must on either. We have really good vocals right now and venue connections, but more always helps.
Email me with your credentials if interested in meeting us.
Please contact us if interested in trying out. Thanks,
The role of System Administrator has become mine at home. When the Toshiba laptop doesn't function as expected, I try to figure it out. Often, I am merely guessing or making slightly educated guesses, based upon whatever website Google takes me to as I research the issue. From an email newsletter I subscribe to about Microsoft Windows, I skimmed the following two articles about Windows maintenance.
- Part 1: http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/the-windows-maintenance-challenge-part-1/
- Part 2: http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/the-windows-maintenance-challenge-part-2/
There's also news about the Los Angeles school district and my employer: http://www.latimes.com/local/education/la-me-lausd-ipads-20140822-story.html
Another thing that has bugging me lately is what Windows Media Player does. When I rip a CD, as part of the CD to MP3 conversion, I am often already listening to a MP3. What WMP does is automatically stop playback of the music and takes its focus to ripping the CD. This article -
http://superuser.com/questions/53703/how-do-i-stop-windows-media-player-12-auto-playing-cds - provides an easy solution of adding a registry key. Don't muck with the registry if you're uncomfortable doing so.
And speaking of the CD to MP3 conversion, I am at