Dr. Hook's "when you are in love with a beautiful woman"
Sunday, April 22, 2018
I can create a link but I have to have the URL in my clipboard, type the description of the link, select the text, tap the link icon, and then paste the URL. Once the link is created, the description can not be changed without recreating the link.
In anticipation of going on vacation to New York City, Syracuse, and Niagara Falls, I installed the Blogger app on my phone. I think I am going to try to make it a point to create blog posts on vacation as opposed to my normal routine of sending what I want to have as a blog post in an email to myself and then, in a single push, creating multiple posts. My hope is that I will be able to create blog posts on my phone and have drafts which I can then publish when I have WiFi. The other side of this is that I am going to try to re-enable the WiFi in the Equinox for the car ride to and fro.
I'll be candid about this subject: I won't be writing huge essays when posting from my phone. I hunt and peck to type and rely on the words that come as suggestions to get the words faster. I have seen the kids type essays on their phones using both hands and of their talent to do so, I am jealous.
I will tag the vacation posts so I can find them later for editing and clarity.
This is a test of the ability to post with a photo I took with my phone.
Saturday, April 21, 2018
Friday, April 20, 2018
First, the teaser for the article:
The Washington Post has spent the past year determining how many children have been exposed to gun violence during school hours since the Columbine High massacre in 1999. The federal government does not track school shootings, so The Post compiled a database from news articles, law enforcement reports and calls to schools and police departments. The number of students affected is staggering — and it will grow as more past incidents surface and new shootings occur.
Second, Given the following sweeping generalizations:
- Liberals think taking away guns and more gun laws will end gun violence at schools
- Republicans think taking away guns and more gun laws will NOT end gun violence at schools
Of course, given the lyrics, Blabbermouth responded: FIVE FINGER DEATH PUNCH Frontman Calls Out BLABBERMOUTH.NET In New Song 'Sham Pain' - April 20, 2018
One of the comments left on the above article included a reference to Byzantine. Having never heard of them, I found this:
I liked that so I went and found this:
Back in August 2017, I jammed with Matthew (guitar) in 830 Studios (my basement). I came across the recording of that jam and heard the part of the jam when Matthew started playing Stryper's "Honestly" tune to which I responded, "Veto! The drummer gets one veto" after which we both laughed. I was aware that they had a recent album so I went looking and found this tune:
I was impressed by his vocals, but, frankly, I wanted to know if they could pull it off live so I found this video:
I like how their drummer has his kit rotated so that the bass drum isn’t facing the audience. I need to remember that kind of setup for when (not if) I join my Ideal Band! As of 4/20/2018 at 7:53 AM, I am still on the hunt for that Ideal Band.
Thursday, April 19, 2018
For me, specifically, in the working version of our Knowledge Management process, there is a step called "Apply Style Guide" which will be performed by a Technical Writer (at this point, me!) to standardize the language that the Knowledge Repository uses in each Knowledge Article to tell the reader how to perform a task. I don't want to have Knowledge Article A tell the user to "modify the contents" and Knowledge Article B tell the user to "change the contents" - both in the context of a numbered procedure. I'm all for using words that are applicable to a given Knowledge Article so if there is a difference between "modify" and "change" in the context of a specific Knowledge Article, I want to have that documented. The style guide should explain when to use "modify" and when to use "change" so it isn't "my preference" over another person's preference.
To do all of that, I need to be able to quickly analyze text and determine if there are duplicate sentences so that I can process the text for inclusion in the Knowledge Repository. An analysis of my needs and the solution exist on the Single Source Rant page in this section Tool to Analyze Text for Possible Snippets.
Editor's Note: Kudos for not duplicating content on the Single Source Rant page here! Creating this post as a way to include labels is a good idea.
Law Students Protest Free Speech Speaker with Shouts of ‘F*** The Law’ Call First Amendment ‘a Weak Shield for White Supremacy’ April 18, 2018
Wednesday, April 18, 2018
- $500.00 sign on bonus with 2 year contract............revised (WDM)
- Looking for serious musicians to form a serious band. To be considered for an audition, please respond with a cover letter about yourself including your musical skills and experience. If you have a recording or video of your playing and or singing that will expedite the process. Musicians that play an instrument as well as having vocal capability are a definite plus. Open to males and females but please be over 30 to be considered. Need to be totally professional in appearance and manner. Not interested in dopers, drunks, or people with excess baggage or attitude. Music will vary just no current music, blues, jazz, metal, grunge or old style country. You will be expected to commit to the project and give 100% to the band. I am willing to put up my money for only the best, you have to be willing to give me your best. Lets hear from some serious musicians.
- Note: Music will not be originals unless they are EXTREMELY GOOD. Covers will be some obscure bands from the past that did really good albums but limited if any play time. Music also of name bands but of times past or songs that didn't make the A list. All music will be of the high energy, toe tapping, and geared to attract the audience's attention. The music will move the audience as well as the members playing it. The band will be known for playing music very well and not for playing music that everyone else out there is doing or rather a questionable fact similarly. When people say they can't remember the last time they heard that song, then we know we are on target. Be sure to include your email address with your cover letter. Thank you one and all.
- Do we get paid vacation too? Dental insurance? What a joke. Nobody's going to sign a 2 year contract to be in your cover band.
- I think it's hilarious how you think you know everything about me. Sorry, not even close. Say what you want about me, but at least I don't have to pay people to be in a band with me. When I first read your original ad, I thought it had to be a joke or satire, but then I thought "No, this guy is serious." You are a legit psychopath. Good luck playing "Sweet Home Alabama" to a bar full of drunks that don't give a shit.
- This isn't a slam on the guy offering the $500 sign on bonus. To each their own. My only issue is where are people still getting paid to play live music anymore that aren't dive bars? Live music is dead. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news here. People in their 20's and 30's don't want to watch a bunch of people twice their age play songs from the 60s, 70s, or 80's. The only thing that is going to get their attention are random songs from the 90's or current pop songs. And even then, they would rather dance to a DJ. I know it hurts the feelings of us musicians, but it might be time to hang it up. If you are down for lugging hundreds of pounds of equipment to the local watering hole to watch a lady in her 60's jam out to Mustang Sally, be my guest. But don't expect to get paid anything more then $100. That works out to like $2 an hour after you consider all the hours practicing, rehearsing, loading, unloading, and performing. And good luck thinking you're going to compete with a 20-something bride and her iTunes playlist at her wedding. Corporations don't higher classic rock bands. So, where are these elusive high paying gigs for bands playing B-sides?
I hope he finds what he is looking for through the ad. I didn't respond because I'm not interested in joining the band. Despite the $500 signing bonus, Des Moines is a little too far to be an efficient band member - it's less than ideal.
Repurposing DITA Content for Microsoft Office Users
Technical communicators around the globe use the Darwin Information Typing Architecture (DITA) to help them create structured, semantically rich, topic-based technical documentation designed for reuse. The benefits of DITA, including content reuse, are limited to content teams who use XML editing tools. Content creators working with Microsoft Office tools cannot reuse DITA content easily, so content silos coalesce around the tools that content teams use.
It’s one thing to understand the value of content reuse. It’s another to find a solution that defeats tool-driven content silos so that teams who don’t have access to—or knowledge of—XML editing tools are able to effectively reuse and repurpose DITA content. Attend this free, one-hour Content Wrangler webinar, brought to you by the content management gurus at Astoria Software, to learn how technical content teams are sharing and repurposing DITA content with team members who create content using Microsoft Office software.
I'm currently not doing ANYTHING with DITA at work and don't plan to ever. The content in Word documents that others in my department create range from "lightly structured," which I would define as having heading styles for a table of contents with manually formatted Normal style everywhere else to "unstructured to the extreme," which I would define as not even having heading styles for a table of contents with manually formatted Normal style everywhere else. DITA is not close to being close to being close to being close to being added to my radar. While I certainly "get" the idea of DITA and structured writing, I have to be upfront when I confess I haven't found a clear cut reason why the type of structured writing DITA makes it easy to do cannot be done in "straight HTML" using CSS. If I have a CSS style defined as "ProcedureOverview" and use it every time I write about the overview for a procedure, isn't that good enough?
All that aside, the seminar is 1 hour in length and happens later today.
Tuesday, April 17, 2018
Monday, April 16, 2018
Instead, I shall focus on how awesome the latest Solo trailer is!!!
And yes, Star Wars is yet another of my weaknesses...
https://youtu.be/7gutSCU4-3Q Dr. Hook's "when you are in love with a beautiful woman"