Saturday, February 25, 2012

Walk Like an Eagle

Alex and I are left today @ 7:15 to go to the Coral Ridge Mall. We walked for the MDA walk. We are going to 5:15 Mass. I know that Jim (guitar) and Keith (bass) will be there so I plan to play drums. Megan is singing @ 11 AM Mass on Sunday and (I hope) to play drums for the youth group as well.

Yesterday, I had a great day at work. I have a User Guide due on Monday and I feel like I'm 99.9% done. I'll spellcheck one more time and call it good. It needs to be reviewed. It is the first manual that I am writing 100% new. All other docs have been updates to existing documentation.

I am starting to ramp up the cassette to MP3 conversion. I have 1000 cassettes (if you count a single 90 minute tape with, say a Scorpions release on one side and a Missing Persons release on the other) so the project is probably not going to be completed in 2012. Maybe by 2014. That's a guess.

Anyways, I have made a lot of what can generally be described as compilations. Within that master group, there are slave groups. Here's a list of the slave groups I have:
  1. College Tapes - 18-ish 90 minute tapes of answering machine messages from college. I am converting the first tape in the series now. I was wild my freshman year. I drank a lot - freely admitted. As I'm listening to some of those episodes now... lots of things I will never publicly reveal. Let's just say that I have no plans to run for president b/c if some of this stuff came out, I'd be smeared pretty heavily. At the same time, this first volume has an outstanding Buddy Rich tune. I don't know the name of it. That's followed by a slurred speaking person into the answering machine to check for messages. Other volumes, in the future, will capture the trials and tribulations of living through college. Now there's a slow song ballad with a female vocalist singing "Make it real." Now, Guns-n-Roses' "Patience" is playing.
  2. Mixture Posture - 10-ish 90 minute tapes of songs that I wanted to have on a single cassette.
  3. Heavy Metal Managery - 22-ish 90 minute tapes of heavy metal. When I obtained a new cassette of a band, I would include at least one song from it.
  4. Ballads - 22-ish 90 minute tapes of slow songs, like Chicago and Air Supply as well as heavy metal ballads like Def Leppard's "Love Bites."
  5. Jam Tapes - 20-ish 90 minute tapes of various jam sessions from my parent's basement. Predominantly, it is James playing guitar, Ken playing guitar, and me playing drums. Various others make cameo appearances.
  6. Drums - 10-ish 90 minute tapes of me playing drums in my parent's basement. There are probably gems of my playing in there, but I honestly haven't listened to them.
In addition of all those Master Groups, I have a slew of other cassettes. A lot of demos from writing freelance music reviews since 1992. A lot of tapes I traded through the mail. A lot of store-bought tapes. There are other slave groups not mentioned.

I am working through CDs at the same time. I never really took the time to organize all my As, Bs, etc together so that I could say "I'm done with all the A's" but what has happened is that there is a mix. I just ripped Fugazi's "13 Songs" and upcoming are some Forbidden releases (a thrash band). I have ~27 spindles to work my way through, though not all of them are full. I split my CD-Rs by letter. I know there are at least 2 spindles of Ms and each spindle is 100 CD-Rs.

It's 11:15 AM. Only a few more hours until 5:15 Mass.

No comments: