Monday, May 10, 2021

This Kind of Title - Love the Tease!

This is not the first time I've seen a headline that is written in this compelling writing style. 

When I read it, I have no idea what the "big change" is, but I want to know what it is because it "may leave customers speechless." 

What I wanted to point out is that the "big change" is a new policy that states when you, as a customer - and for the record, it's an interesting shift to call someone on a plane a "customer" instead of a "passenger" - order a drink on a Southwest Airlines plane, you no longer say, "I'll have a Pepsi please." Instead, you are to point at the drink menu to give your order. That's the reason a customer is speechless! 

My initial thought was that "speechless" meant that the customer was going to be shocked and unable to form a coherent sentence or response after this "big change" that Southwest Airlines announced. Instead, it's not that at all because the customer no longer speaks when ordering a drink. How clever! 

In my daily work, I don't have the opportunity to really write clever titles like this. My titles are more along the lines of specifying the subject of a topic because I'm working with Disaster Recovery documentation or a Knowledge Article in a Knowledge Repository. I couldn't have a title that said, "[Name of Department] announced a big change that may reshape the way a vendor is contacted if there is a disaster situation" even though that does have a certain ring to it. Technical Writers are not afforded the opportunity to write headlines often.

To read the entire article, see this link: Southwest Airlines announced a big change that may leave customers speechless.

No comments: