Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Things I Never Knew About Skiing

There was a time in my life when I wanted to "live" as either a ski instructor or ski patrol dude. I remember going to Sundown in Dubuque when I was in junior high (40ish years ago) and even into my freshman & sophomore years of high school. I remember watching the ski patrol staff as they jumped to the front of the line for the ski lift, going down the black diamond hill called the Gunbarrel with ease, and, in general, while I didn't understand the mechanics of what it would take to be a ski instructor or a ski patrol dude, I knew the destination. This was further reinforced when I saw the ski instructors and ski patrol dudes in CO at Keystone and Breckenridge. I thought that would be the life.

Of course, it was 40ish years ago when I remember seeing "Hot Dog: The Movie" - released trailer below - and really wanting to live the life depicted in the movie!

Fast forward to 2023. I haven't been to Sundown in Dubuque since 1990. My skis are long gone, sold at our garage sale in the mid-1990s. I've had a meniscus (knee) surgery and the idea of returning to Sundown in Dubuque isn't what I'd like to do and here's a reality check: I wasn't ever good enough to be a ski instructor or ski patrol dude. However, with that as context, I enjoyed reading this article: Things I Never Knew About Skiing Until I Was a Private Instructor in Aspen - Slopeside shenanigans, gallons of sprayed Champagne, celebrities behaving badly, and… ski gangs? It’s all in a day’s work at Aspen.

Editor's Note: Here's a review of "Hot Dog: The Movie" from Amazon Product Reviews - Hot Dog: The Movie: - note that the movie always had sex & nudity - now the DVD has 3 more minutes! ... Sigh... if I were 13, I would be buying it... and so would you! <grin>

No comments: