Monday, November 13, 2023

Old Dog Meets a New Word and is Better for Expanding

Typically, when I see a mistake in someone else's writing, it is a typo or using "its" when the writer meant "it's" in their sentence. Such mistakes are also single offenders. However, this morning, on a Monday, I saw this article - The 25 worst cover songs of all time, ranked -- Artists like Madonna, Britney Spears, and David Bowie are among the big names who've turned beloved classics into mangled monstrosities -- By Stephen Thomas Erlewine--Published-Wednesday 8:00AM.Not only did I see a typo, but I also increased my vocabulary by one word. I used italics to indicate the error and bold to indicate the new word that I added to my vocabulary.:

Whatever the reason for the failings by these artists, there’s no disputing that the original songs remain beloved, which is why brutally bad updates can be so difficult to swallow. This list of the 25 worst cover songs, like our look at the 25 best cover songs of all time, doesn’t pretend be comprehensive. Still, as we surveyed the last five decades of pop and rock music, we’ve done our best to corral the truly awful covers and order them in a way that metes out some semblance of order, if not justice.

Notice that the Published date is "Wednesday" which I presume is 11-08-2023. Today is Monday, 11-13-2023, which means the following typos have existed for 5 days and either no one has informed the author. The first mistake is that "doesn't pretend be comprehensive" is missing the word "to" in the sentence. The sentence should be: "doesn't pretend to be comprehensive." The word I added to my vocabulary is mete, which I initially believed was a typo. However, mete is a word and this is the definition I found through the Internet:

to give out by measure : dole out. She realized the stern retribution which justice metes to the murderer.
Source: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mete

I now feel like I have learned today - can I go home now? [GRIN]

I do not want to go home. I am re-linking shell Word files for the P4 applications in our CMDB in my RoboHelp 2015 project for the Disaster Recovery documentation. Yes, MRDR--Mister Disaster Recovery Documentation (tm) is still working with RoboHelp 2015, not RoboHelp 2022. Perhaps that would be worth a blog post to freeze this moment at work?

No comments: