Sunday, May 1, 2011

Just a Second

I'd like to take a moment to talk about the phrase "just a second." It is a curious phrase because rarely does anyone really mean they will be with you in a single second. It usually means I'm in the middle of what I am doing and if I quit doing it right now, when being asked to quit, I will lose my train of thought and fear never being able to recall what the brain was telling me to do. It seems a better response to being summoned to another room would be, "I'm in the middle of my train of thought. I know me coming to you is very important and I will be next to you as fast as I can, but I need to finish this thought or I will lose it." That answer is honest, but not something easily committed to memory. Unfortunately. The net result is that when someone calls your name, you will respond, "Just a second." You will then finish your task, so you do not lose your train of thought, and then approach the person that called your name.

Take this a step further. If Christ calls your name, do you really have the courage to tell Him "just a second" - that the things you are doing in your life are more important than finding out what He is calling you to do?

Is what you are doing in your life more important than what Christ is calling you to do?

I didn't think so either.

No comments: