Friday, October 16, 2020

Interesting... But No, Not Moving to CA, even if I don't get to pet the Office Dogs...

I have had an excellent last couple of weeks at work. First, last week, I presented what I had prepared for this week's annual IT Audit to my manager's manager (the CIO) as well as the other Directors in my department. It was a 20-slide PowerPoint presentation that I talked through in 30 minutes. I did an awesome job, if I do say so myself. Then, yesterday, 10/15/2020, I joined a Zoom meeting with the IT Audit company. In previous years, this IT Audit was the "Why the Work I Do so Tremendously Awesome and Perfectly Stupendous" meeting, but yesterday, it wasn't about me. In the past, I have talked about assigning a priority to each system my department is responsible for supporting and one of the first statements made by the leader of the meeting was to (briefly) recap that fact, based upon what was stated, by me, last year. I confirmed, yes, that's the route we're still on and, from that point forward, the work I do and the manner in which I do it was not the focus. When appropriate, I spoke up and enhanced what had been stated by someone else, but otherwise, as I said, I wasn't the focus. I know that I did an excellent job explaining whatever I was explaining (sure, call me egotistical and self-serving - doesn't bother me regarding this topic) so at the end of the meeting, yes, I was happy.
Which leads me to stating that despite the idea of living in CA being an idea I would consider in one of my alternate realities, but not the 'real' reality in which I am writing this post as well as saying that I know it flatly ignores the fact that Ben Shapiro and The Daily Wire are *leaving* CA because of all the insane policies that hamper their business (there's a video called "Why I'm Leaving California" that can be viewed), I am not moving to CA.  

Technical Writer
Full Time
Rancho Cordova, CA, US
2 days agoRequisition ID: 1074

About Backblaze

Backblaze originated in a founder’s one-bedroom apartment where five people committed to helping people save their data. Backblaze provides backup and cloud storage that’s astonishingly easy to use and inexpensive. Our customers use our services so they can pursue dreams like curing cancer (genome mapping is data intensive), archiving the work of some of the greatest artists on the planet (learn more about how Austin City Limits uses B2), or simply sleeping well at night (anyone that’s spilled a cup of coffee on a laptop knows the relief that comes with complete, secure backups). We are entrusted with almost an exabyte of data from customers in more than 150 countries. We exited 2019 growing quickly and cash flow positive, and we’ve done all this with just $3M of funding.

We’ve managed to nurture a team oriented culture with amazingly low turnover. Our approach is guided by honesty, transparency, and a commitment to doing the right thing for our customers and coworkers. Our customers are happy, and so are our coworkers: In the most recent “Great Place to Work” survey, 99% of our team rated Backblaze as “a great place to work.” Check out what our employees are saying on Glassdoor!


But while there is a lot to celebrate in our past, there is almost as much opportunity ahead of us. We are seeking a Technical Writer.


What You’ll Do:
  • Work with SMEs from Technical Operations to develop internal documentation and training material
  • Write technical documents for technical people
  • Translate complex ideas into plain language documents
  • Organize and maintain technical documentation in Confluence
  • Follow the Backblaze style guide
  • Revise existing documents for accuracy and style
  • Work with Compliance to ensure SOP meets data security requirements
  • Pet the office dogs when appropriate.
The Right Fit:
  • Expert understanding of English grammar and punctuation
  • Demonstrated plain language writing skills
  • Comfortable with Atlassian Confluence and Markdown
  • Linux command line experience
  • Critical thinking skills
  • Ability to learn quickly and willingness to ask a lot of questions
  • A passion for building and improving all manner of systems and services
  • Excellent problem solving, investigative, and troubleshooting skills
  • Strong interpersonal communication skills
Bonus Points:
  • Experience with Lucidchart
  • Experience with Bash or Python
  • Experience working at a technology/software startup
  • Familiarity with configuration management and automation software (Ansible preferred)
  • Grasp of server and storage system hardware and configurations
  • Ability to work on site in San Mateo or Sacramento (but fully remote is ok)
Backblaze Perks:
  • 100% healthcare for family
  • Competitive compensation and 401k
  • Full-time employees receive option grants
  • Flexible vacation policy
  • MacBook Pro to use for work plus a generous stipend to personalize your workstation
  • Fully stocked micro kitchens and strong coffee
  • Catered breakfast and lunches twice a week
  • Childcare bonus (human children only)
  • Pet-friendly office
  • Generous skills training policy to continue your professional development
  • Culture that supports healthy work-life balance
Backblaze is an Equal Opportunity Employer.

No comments: