Friday, October 9, 2020

Resources I Hope I Never Need in My Life

When I went through my layoff at Pearson in January 2016 and had to search for a new Senior Technical Writer position, I was truly devastated. As anyone who pokes around this blog can infer, I landed "up" when I was hired by the U of Iowa to work on Disaster Recovery documentation. I started on March 28, 2016.

I never expected to be looking for work in January 2016 because I "had" to look for work. I had interviewed with the U of Iowa earlier in January for my current position and while I was happy at Pearson, I also felt like maybe I needed to move on for reasons I won't go into today.
When I started thinking about all of this today, I realized that I worked at Pearson for 1702 days (4 years, 7 months, 3 weeks, 6 days). While that is impressive (because I say it is!), my employment at the U of Iowa is shorter as far as days: 1656 days (4 years, 6 months, 1 week, 4 days). My conclusion is that while I worked at Pearson longer than I have at the U of Iowa, flipping that narrative will be happening on Wednesday, November 25, 2020 - the day before Thanksgiving. What is ironic is that I applied for my U of Iowa position on the day before Thanksgiving 2015. Interesting, right? (Your answer is "yes!") I am eager to be able to state that my employment at the U of Iowa is my longest employment in the last decade.
I subscribe to a weekly email called Friday Reflection by Megan Gilhooly (megan.gilhooly@zoominsoftware.com). Each week, I read her excellent content. Today's email is no exception - I pasted what I liked reading below from her email. I didn't write the following words, so I want all credit for the following content to go to Megan!

Today’s reflection covers inspiring stories from people who have worn the out-of-work shoes and turned their situation around, as well as the best places to find content jobs today.
  • Three Steps To Recover From A Late-Career Job Loss by John Tarnoff. Ignore the “late-career” part of the title because this article is relevant to all ages. And his advice is far from ordinary. Ok, establishing a routine is popular advice, but cutting ties with former colleagues? I would not have thought to give that advice to anyone, but his argument is solid. His last piece of advice is the toughest to implement--framing your situation in a way that suggests hope and opportunity. I usually suggest an hour a day punching a heavy bag or going full throttle on a spin bike, but given COVID, John’s advice might be more accessible. 
  • How to Build a Personal Brand After a Job Loss by Dennis Shiao. This is a truly inspirational story from a guy who lost a job in the last economic crisis in the U.S.  When you lose a job, the last thing you want to do is write a compelling blog article or get busy on social media posting articles about your trade. But, that’s exactly what Dennis did. He focused on building his brand--and the jobs came to him. 
  • Where are content jobs listed? I reached out to Jack Molisani, founder of Lavacon content strategy conference and ProSpring Technical Staffing, to get his insights on the best places for job seekers to find content jobs. Here’s his list:
And here’s a pro tip: When searching for roles by title, consider broadening your search. According to Jack, “Facebook just announced they are changing the name of content positions from ‘Content Strategist’ to ‘Content Designer’.” He also reminds content professionals to keep in mind that “‘UX Writer’ is a growing subset of content jobs.”

No comments: