Wednesday, January 5, 2022

Get Over It

Many Metallica fans have an issue with the overall mix on Metallica's And Justice for All album. The album sounds the way it does since it was released in 1989 and while some brilliant people who know how to adjust the mix have done some amazing work, like the And Jason for All album on Youtube.com, the officially released version sounds the way it does. Every so often, the story about how the album ended up having the sound it does comes up and it's always the "mixers" pointing at Lars Ulrich and saying, "Blame him! It's what he wanted!" This time, in the latest round of this topic, it's time for Steve Thompson, who mixed the album, to give his perspective on the topic, which you can read here: https://loudwire.com/metallica-steve-thompson-lars-ulrich-drum-sound-and-justice-for-all.

My opinion about all of this is when an album is released, it is a snapshot taken on the month/day/year that it was released. Because I don't know any better, when an album is remastered and remixed, I don't typically hear a difference between the original version and the 'updated' version. I like listening to music professionals reacting to music because they often provide an insight into the music, from a technical perspective, that I don't know anything about because I've never had any training to know what to listen for in the music. Maybe when I retire, I'll enroll in a "music theory" course that would teach me what people like Rick Beato talks about in his "What Makes This Song Great" videos.

No comments: