Thursday, January 6, 2022

Legendary Band Reaches 20 Years While I Can't Reach 3 Year with a Band

It occurred to me that the longest I've ever played drums in a band is not even 2 years, which was Lou's Classic Ride. We got together in May 2012 and disbanded, roughly, in January 2013. No other band in my lifetime of playing drums has surpassed that threshold. My current project, RPM, or RPM, first got together in October 2019, but we also went through a long hiatus due to COVID-19 and as I look towards getting together with Randy next week, we also lost our bassist, Mark, due to health reasons. If Randy and I continue to jam up to October 2022, does that mean I'll have been in a band longer than Lou's Classic Ride? I guess I'll have to take it one month at a time. For the record, I sincerely hope Randy and I are jamming when October 2022 rolls around. The question is will I ever play in a band as long as 20 years, which is the anniversary that local Iowa City band The Diplomats of Solid Sound are celebrating, per this article https://www.iowapublicradio.org/ipr-music/2022-01-05/the-diplomats-of-solid-sound-celebrate-20-years-together-two-years-later.For the record, I've never heard TDOSS ever and I've lived in the Iowa City area since August 1993, when I moved into the apartment Karen was living in off of Hayden Fry Way in Coralville.

While I'm relatively young (I turned 52 on 12-4-2021), the math sucks for me. In order for me to reach a 20 year milestone, I'd have to join a band in 2022 and play drums with that same band until I'm 72. While I'm always optimistic about the longevity of my drumming, the question I am asking myself is, "Has the ship sailed for me to reach a 20 year milestone with a single Ideal Band?"

This morning, when the high temperature is supposed to be 3 degrees, my best hope for reaching that milestone is equally chilly and, sure, about 3% likely to happen. The best scenario I can envision is to to retire and end up living in a Senior Living Center and being lucky enough to find other musicians in the Senior Living Center. Of course, if I play drums with the same group of seniors in a Senior Living Center and we never leave the place to play a gig, is that really a band?

That's a question I cannot answer today.

No comments: