Wednesday, July 6, 2022

Random Bob Lived Where I Will Never Live

I used to think about earning a Master's degree. Originally, I thought I would study poetry or fiction writing, as two of my professors at Mount Mercy College - Dr. Kathryn Hall and Dr. James McClean - had earned their Master of Fine Arts (MFA) from the Univeristy of Iowa Writers Workshop. When I decided that I teaching, at any level, was not for me, I thought about earning a Master's degree in Non-Fiction Writing as it made the most sense due to beginning my career as a technical writer. However, now if I ever think about earning a Master's degree, it's thinking about earning a Masters of Business Administration.

With the advantage of knowing "now" what my career path has actually been, I regret I didn't graduate from Mount Mercy College with both a degree in Business and a degree in English (or a minor in one of them). While I know that my student teaching experience has ended up shaping who I am, I know that my Minor in Secondary Education was pretty much worthless.

I can also say that whenever I used to think about earning a Master's degree, it was never in the context of leaving Iowa and living in another state. The thought of leaving Iowa was never a serious option for me.

But look at Bob. He started out his education at the University of North Carolina, moved all of his stuff to CA, to earn a Master's degree, and THEN moved back to North Carolina. Kudos to Bob and to anyone else who could do something like that. I have never lived anywhere except Iowa so the idea of living on a coast is something I will never see happen in my life. I'm okay with that, though, as my family and friends are in Iowa.



No comments: