Thursday, April 6, 2023

Microsoft OneNote will block 120 dangerous file extensions

This drives me NUTS!
I despise the strategy followed by the author in this article because there's a better strategy. Typically, "better" is an opinion, but not in the way I am using the word. There's a better way to communicate this information and I'm going to step through it.
First, this is the article I am critiquing - https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/microsoft-onenote-will-block-120-dangerous-file-extensions - Microsoft OneNote will block 120 dangerous file extensions - and when you look at that article, you see this section:

The hyperlink in the above screenshot - Blocked attachments in Outlook - includes a table, which I have included as a screenshot below, but I am only showing the file extensions that start with the letter a.

Here's the specifics about the strategy the original author chose that I do not like. The issue is that the 1st article means that there is now a second copy of the content. Two people are now "responsible" for keeping the list of file extensions accurate: the author of the 1st article and the author of the Microsoft article.
That's dumb.
The better strategy that should have been followed by the author of the 1st article would have been to link to Blocked attachments in Outlook and not to copy / paste from that Microsoft article.
I touched upon this idea elsewhere on this blog. However, instead of copying and pasting from Single Sourcing Rant, I am providing the link to it.
That's a better strategy.

No comments: