Thursday, January 28, 2010

Videos as Documentation and Other Information

This link talks about using videos to explain to users how to do things. It is not a new concept - many online Help systems use videos - and I think it has its place.

My one major concern is knowing your audience. I would not want a video of a couple of the procedures I routinely do at work. I like the paper. I jot notes on it, like the password when it changes. Another place is where I unzip a file and keep track of how many files were unzipped because the procedure will add more files. Then I do the math to make sure that the number of files in my new .zip file is equal to the new files I created, plus the previous number of files. Numbers and I do not really get along because my brain - I admit this - does not work that way. I am better at manipulating words and bending them to my will than I am at math. That's the way my brain is.

Work has been extremely busy. There is a lot to do and not a lot of time to do it. I did not spend more than a few brief moments working on my number one priority today because my perception was that the 'little' changes I wanted to make would not take long. They took longer and were more involved than what I could have guessed. An example was a programmer talking me through a trainer's question and explaining why his question really didn't make sense and why my initial answer to him was totally wrong. There were other things I have decided I need to do to make my help system more user-friendly and that took some of my day.

Tomorrow, being Friday and all, I'm hoping for a clean slate of nothing but working on a new end-user document (EUD) that can be included on our next cut of the software. I know the cut is coming. The subject of the EUD is new functionality and I'd like to get, at the very least, a draft included on the cut. It is just going to take time to do it.

Megan checked out 4 CDs from the NL Library. One of them was the soundtrack to the Wizard of Oz. Turns out, whoever had it last put in the wrong CD - it was a CD of Christmas songs! I called the library and told whomever I talked to about it so that they wouldn't think it was Megan.

We are playing a song at Mass called "Sing of the Lord's Goodness." Here's an awful version of it (not me on drums!)



If you listen carefully, the rhythm is similar to Dave Brubeck's "Take Five." There used to be a video here but it was removed from youtube.com.



From our Development Manager:
Something that caught my eye in one of my daily industry e-letters, thought it might give you a chuckle to start your day:
* Stop oppressing lazy people, says job center
A British recruitment agent has been barred from posting an ad for a "reliable and hard-working" domestic cleaner, on the grounds that the listing discriminates against lazy and unreliable people. A job center official said that they refused to post the listing for fear of being sued by an unreliable but angry applicant. Telegraph (London) (1/26)
http://www.smartbrief.com/index.jsp

No comments: