Saturday, January 15, 2011

The Numbers Game

I dealt blackjack from ~7:00 to 10:00 last night. It was fun. I had a good table. My right shoulder hurts. I hope we get to do it next year. It's challenging for me to do it because I am not a numbers person. I really am not. And I don't know the rules of Blackjack to the mastery level that I should. If I would have had done a terrible job, then I don't think the people that stayed at my table and played, literally, every hand I dealt would have stayed at my table. There were 4 people like that. They helped me when I had to give them their winnings and doing double down and how to do all that. Like I said, if I would have sucked, they would have gotten up and left.

This morning, I am contemplating the definition of frustration. The definition of frustration is totally just watching money evaporate. I should be working my contract work on a PC in CR - I remotely connect through logmein.com - but for whatever reason, there's an issue with my PC in CR. I have been downstairs, in the den, since 8:00 AM and just watching my hourly rate disappear into thin air. I was expecting to put in hours today and tomorrow AM, but if I cannot connect to the PC, I cannot do any work. In one sense, I guess, it's okay because now I won't be tempted to do more work when I should be enjoying the weekend and actually relaxing a bit.

My schedule is hectic, as I have written about previously. I am typically up working until midnight and then turn around and get up @ 6 AM. Today was a luxury - I slept until 7. I like the paycheck that comes a couple of times a month and that's fantastic. I like the actual work I'm doing - always have - so that's okay. I sit in the den and listen to good music so I like that. But sometimes I question whether it is really worth it. I also question how long it can continue (the contract work) and how long I can continue (the less than 8 hours/sleep nightly) before something gives like my healthy disposition.

It's not possible to really think or consider it all today since it is now 8:48 AM, Alex didn't clear the couch of clean laundry, Megan comes home from a sleepover ~10 and Karen's folks arrive ~11-ish (that's a guess).

The rest of the day is a planned trip to CR. My plan is to meet @ Mark, Jonathan, and Tyler @ Westdale Bowling. I will drive up with Lou, Alex, and Megan. My plan would be for Susie to drive from CR to NL, which from Westdale Bowling, even a blonde cannot mess up.

We are going to 5:15 Mass and the talk has been to not play drums this week. Keith and Rhonda are not going to be there and guitarist Jim is having eye surgery. The set list is actually pretty good so I may end up playing, but we'll have to see. Maybe Susie will sing with us like she did last time. Who knows? Otherwise, I may just actually sit in the congregation.

I pulled out Pantera's "The Great Southern Trendkill" and wow. That is an aggressive piece of work. Lots of cussing and powerful music. I like it.

It's now 8:54. I can hear Karen in the shower so I'd better get out of here and get moving.

No comments: