Friday, January 21, 2011

Serial Commas Rock

When you are writing a list of things and it is not apporpriate to use a numbered list like this:
1. blah
2. blah
3. blah

You probably would use a sentence structure like this:

I like Metallica, Five Finger Death Punch, and Godsmack.

Notice in the second example, I inserted a comma (,) between "Punch" and "and". This is called the serial comma. I think the serial comma rocks. I think that the following example is the perfect reason to always use a serial comma. Period.
"... those interviewed were his two ex-wives, Kris Kris... and Robert Duvall." The two ex-wives is an item in the list, Kris Kris..., is an item in the list, and Robert Duvall is the third item in the list.
If you were to put these into a numbered list, you'd really have this:
1. two ex-wives
2. Kris Kris...
3. Robert Duvall
Do you see this difference? I hope so. It is the last time I want to explain to you that the serial comma rocks.

No comments: