Tuesday, December 6, 2011

One Year Anniversary

There used to be a WWE wrestler that was in CM Punk’s stable called “Straight Edge Society” or SES. This was before Punk became a face and overwhelmingly popular. There was a female in the group, real name Serena Deeb, who joined when CM Punk brought her out of the audience and gave her a crew cut to absolve her of her vices. The SES is long gone – it would be difficult to find someone who remembers who was in the stable with Punk. Deeb had issues with alcohol and partying too much. She recently posted the following:

Today I am incredibly proud, as it marks one full year I have gone without drinking alcohol. A year ago I looked myself in the mirror & reevaluated my priorities. I decided to make serious changes. I have always wanted to be a role model & help others around me because I believe that makes the world a better place. I hope this message can inspire & encourage whoever reads it.

Often times when people approach change, it can be overwhelming. One week is hard, one year is even harder and 'forever' almost sounds impossible. From my personal account, I think it's helpful to take things one day at a time & to constantly remind yourself of the bigger picture.

We all have changes that we want to implement. A new year approaching is the perfect opportunity. Don't limit yourself & the potential that you have to live a better life. Change is never easy BUT with a challenge, you build a stronger character. Self confidence & a strong will are very empowering. Take small steps & don't look back- "Be the change you wish to see in the world." :-)

I find this inspirational. I think that doing something you always said you were going to do is a powerful step in the right direction.

In my life, I have an example. On 12/2, I had 2 separate conversations with 3 different co-workers. The consensus was that all four of us wanted to walk to be healthier, but we each had separate reasons for not doing so. On 12/5, the first day of my 42nd year, we began the slow process of being healthier. If you walk from where we sit to the other end of the building, I think it is a ½ mile. Therefore, I walked 1 mile on Monday (I had a Monday PM meeting) and 2 miles today (Tuesday). Baby steps.

I also drank fewer calories of pop. More on that vice another day.

1 comment:

Kari. said...

Congratulations on walking. It really is baby steps. That and changing how you think. To think of how you do something and not the end result. I'm not sure if I'm making sense here.