Sunday, January 1, 2012

Projects in 2012

As the new year begins, I have a couple of projects I am working on in my "spare" time. Before I started working on this project this AM, I did a DOS command to get the number of MP3s and WAV files on my external hard drive. I am tucking every thing I call my music collection under e:\music. As you can see, I have 21186 files!

In 2012 and beyond, I am converting my CD collection to MP3s. This is a fairly easy project because I use Windows Media Player to get all the release info and I just have to babysit the CD drive for when the CD is done. It takes ~10 minutes per CD so it's fairly easy to insert the CD, walk away and do something else and/or just wait.

My second project, that I haven't started yet, is I want to convert all my cassettes to MP3. http://www.cassettetousb.com/?tid=G07& is what I am pretty sure I am going to buy. I just need to make the plunge and plop down the $60 and do it. I have an Excel file where I listed out all of my cassettes. I have 1000 to convert. I am unsure exactly how I am going to approach it. I thought about having a separate sub-folder under e:\music for cassettes, but part of me would be okay with just including them all under e:\music. The other part of me wants to know how much hard drive space I will use for only cassettes. I have no idea the number of GBs I will use.

No comments: