Monday, May 11, 2015

Not Writing

A few weeks ago, I realized that while my intentions are good, the reality is that I'm simply not writing music reviews. There have been moments when I thought, "I should write a music review" but it was a brief moment and the next moment was occupied with some other task. It's sad for me to admit this and to concede that none of the priorities in my life in 2015 include the idea to write music reviews. Now, when I receive an email from a publicist, I reply with the following canned text. I don't want to keep portraying myself as a music reviewer when, in fact, I am not currently writing reviews. I allow the possibility in my head that someday I will return to writing music reviews, but it will not be today, tomorrow, or probably even next week. With Megan's graduation party on 5/23 and Karen's declaration that we are having the party in the garage so it needs to look like our living room(!?!?), any free moment I have will be spent getting ready.

Hi,

Thanks for contacting me about one of my passions – music!

Unfortunately, there’s a lot of things going on in my life that seem to prevent me from writing music reviews. While I'm listed as a contributor on Dailyvault.com - http://www.dailyvault.com/reviewers.php5?id=9 - it's been a while since I've contributed a review. Whether you want to remove me from your email list is up to you. I don’t mind receiving your email – a filter set up in MS Outlook moves emails like yours to a specific folder that I intend to review periodically.

What is taking up the time I used to use to write music reviews? After several years of not playing drums in a band, I’ve put myself back into that game. You can watch some videos, including when I sat in at BB King’s club on Beale Street in Memphis, TN, here: http://prhmusic.blogspot.com/p/videos-of-me-playing-drums.html

As for the future? Well, my daughter graduates from high school in 2015 and my son graduates in 2017. I’m told, once they both graduate, I’ll have more free time. Maybe, at that point, I’ll be able to rededicate myself to writing music reviews.

Take care,

My blog: http://prhmusic.blogspot.com
Me Playing Drums: http://prhmusic.blogspot.com/p/videos-of-me-playing-drums.html
My (frequently ignored) Twitter: @prhmusic

Tonight begins a week of festivities.
  1. Monday
    • Alex's final band concert of the school year
  2. Tuesday
    • Megan works
  3. Wednesday
    • Karen is having supper with friends
    • Megan is having a dental procedure.
    • Alex works
  4. Thursday
    • Delivering tables to Kenzie's house for her graduation party.
    • Megan works
  5.  Friday
    • Getting chairs for Kenzie's graduation party
  6. Saturday
    • Graduation parties
  7. Sunday
    • Senior Mass @ 11 AM
    • Alex wants to go golfing <yeah, right!>
Thus, even if I wanted to write music reviews, there's no time to do so.

    No comments: