Wednesday, December 26, 2018

So Why?

I have 10 find and replace "actions" I want to run within Dreamweaver CC 2018. I remembered that I can save those "actions" as a .dwr file so that I do not need to manually do these 3 steps x 10:
  1. set the Find value 
  2. set the Replace value
  3. set any additional options
I often use the scenario that the work I do is for when you are using software and you don't know how or don't remember how to complete a task, you go to the help text for the answers. That's what I did. On the Find and Replace window, I clicked the ? icon, which took me to this page: https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/using/find-replace-text.html?mv=product&mv2=dw#multiple

However, I noticed in the Save and load search queries section, the two icons with the red square in the screen capture below were not present:
I thought that was odd. So, I looked directly below it and saw this text:

By default, saving and loading search queries is not enabled in Dreamweaver CC 2017 and 2018 versions. However, if you really need to be able to save and load search queries, then complete the following steps to enable this feature.


  1. Make sure you have Dreamweaver CC 2017.1 installed. Open Dreamweaver and use the Advanced Find and Replace dialog at least once, and then close Dreamweaver.


  2. On Windows:
    • Open the Registry Editor - In the Start Menu, either in the Run Box or the Search box, type regedit and press Enter.
    • Navigate to the following location: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Dreamweaver CC 2017\Advanced Find And Replace
    • Right click and create a new string value with ShowHiddenOptions=TRUE.
    • Close the Registry Editor.
    Note: If you cannot find Advanced Find and Replace in your Windows Registry Editor, clear your Dreamweaver preferences, and open Dreamweaver again.



  3. Right-click and create a string value with ShowHiddenOptions.


  4. Add the value data as TRUE.


  5. Close the Registry Editor.

Thus, I followed those instructions.
Now, when I open that window, I see the two icons in the upper-right of the window:

However, having done that, I do have a question about the tone of this part of the help text:

By default, saving and loading search queries is not enabled in Dreamweaver CC 2017 and 2018 versions. However, if you really need to be able to save and load search queries...

WHY?!? Why was the default changed? Who decided that? What was the reasoning? Was it determined that not many users were actually using this functionality? Is there any sort of repercussion for enabling the option? WHY!?!?!?

No comments: