Friday, November 11, 2022

Missing out on Playing Good Tunes

I am going out of town on Saturday and will return on Sunday. While I'm gone, at Saint Thomas More, the following tunes will be played and I have to say, the fact that I am not playing these tunes this week is sad for me. Each of the tunes listed below is a hyperlink to a YouTube version, but I'm not embedding the tunes in this post.

November 12-13, 2022 - 33rd SOT

  1. O: In The Day Of The Lord - Ridge
  2. G: Mass Of St. Ann - Bolduc 
  3. RP:  If Today You Hear His Voice - Manibusan
  4. GA: Mass Of Renewal - Stephan
  5. OF: You Are Welcome Here - Muglia
  6. AC: Mass Of Renewal - Stephan
  7. C: Many And One - Stephan/Hard/Liles
  8. S: Lead Me, Lord - Becker

I absolutely adore playing "In the Day of the Lord" now that I can play the recurring bar of 6/8, as shown in red in the first graphic below, while the 2 measures in the yellow box, as shown in the second graphic below, is probably my favorite part of the entire tune because it's probably one of the trickiest parts of any tune we play during Mass. Also, the final tune, "Lead Me, Lord" is the tune that I typically play an "Enter Sandman"-inspired tom pattern instead of playing straight time with the hi-hat and snare, which acts as a counter-balance to the medley, which is all quarter notes, as shown in the red box and then, also in the third graphic below in the purple box, the refrain has eighth notes, which is when I switch to playing 4 quarter notes on the ride, the bass on 1 and 3, and the snare on 2 and 4. The bottom line, and what I'm trying to convey is that in the verse without syncopation, my drumming is syncopated and in the refrain with syncopation, my drumming is without syncopation. I think I've seen the word "dissonance" used to describe what I am playing, but I may be using the word incorrectly to describe my drumming theory for "Lead Me, Lord" so don't take it as Gospel.





No comments: