Friday, June 19, 2009

A Girl Like You / Writing Exercise

I do not have this song in my collection, but man, I had it in my head today. I like the guitar, the guitar riff, everything about it. I don't even know the last time I heard it on the radio or where I heard it. I am not the only one who likes them. I saw these:

"For me rock and roll began with The Beatles and pretty much ended with the Smithereens. The last great rock and roll band!"

"Yes--the Smithereens, the last great rock and roll band--please, let them continue as I have to see them [in] 2009!"









In other news, I played with rewriting the following:
Original:I hope you are doing well. I am reaching out to you as an introduction, to make sure that you have my contact information as I am your main point of contact here at .
Revisions:
I hope you are doing well. I would like to introduce myself. My name is I am your main point of contact here at .I hope you are doing well. I have recently been assigned as your main point of contact here at . If you need anything, please let me know.

Among the exciting changes at , I am now your main point of contact at . I have been with for and in the software industry for I look forward to working with you. In the meantime, if you have any issues you want me to address, please use the contact information below to get in touch.

Hello. My name is and I hope you are doing well. I would like to introduce myself. I am your main point of contact here at . If you have any concerns you would like me to address, please use the contact information below to get in touch.



I am going to be writing a review of Black Sabbath's "Paranoid" for Dailyvault.com, thanks to the encouragement of CT, the founder of dailyvault.com:

My two cents: I'd send the review in. Nothing like getting more than one opinion on an album, I always say.

CT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: prhmusic
To: dv staff
Sent: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 7:10:02 AM
Subject: RE: Black Sabbath retrospective

The only review I could contribute would be to re-hash what CT already wrote about "Paranoid" as it's my only BS release. I consider "Rat Salad" to be the best non-drum solo drum solo - what I would cover as a replacement to any type of drum solo, if I were actively playing. I've been confied to the basement: http://prhmusic. blogspot. com/2009/ 06/830-drums. html


Finally, before I retire for the evening, I have this opinion.

I recently downloaded a PDF. There are 32 pages. On page 31, it says this:
"This page was included but left blank to provide a multiple of 4 pages for booklet-style printing."
This is new. This is exciting. I like the fact that the true reason - however non-applicable it would be to, say, my mother-in-law had she downloaded this file - is explained so that those who do understand page layout and the constant battle with it see exactly what the page layout was designed to achieve. I applaud actions like this. There is often a need to hide the techy-mumbo-jumbo from end-users. I have been writing software documentation since 2/10/95. I am coming to a point where every time I try to "protect" the end-user from the nitty-gritty behind-the-scenes details, I am asked to include the very information I specifically chose to exclude. Depending up on your audience and your clients, I think end-users need to know exactly what is going on, especially with documentation that explains how to use software. Users sometimes need to know what field in what file is updated when a menu option is submitted. They sometimes also need to know this information for troubleshooting why what they expected and what the software did are not the same. Information such as this can lead the user into the depths of programming and, at a certain point, the user probably gets out the white flag and says, "This doesn't make sense." But for as long as they are digging into files and looking at things, they are accountable for their actions. Or should be, in a perfect world. Once they give up and contact the software vendor's customer support department, then it's up to the CSR to figure out what happened and whether it can be attributed to the company as a bug. After all, the clients paid money for the software that is not doing what they thought it would do.


And now that I've bored my one reader to tears, I am cashing in.

No comments: