Saturday, June 30, 2012

I Blame Jenny from Chicago

During my freshman year of college at Mount Mercy College (now called Mount Mercy University), I became friends with Jenny McDermott. Jenny looked punk rock. She had thick red hair and big rimmed glasses. I can't remember what she was majoring in. I can't remember the city she was from. I remember she was from Chicago.

I rest all blame for introducing me to what was then alternative music on her.

This was the fall of 1988, prior to Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains. These bands that she liked were not on the radio. They were not heavy metal. Some of them were dance music-ish, like Erasure. Some of them were quirky, like the Violent Femmes. Some of them were punk rock, like the Buzzcocks. I don't remember the name of the release I dubbed from her. I just remember this song, called "Orgasm Addict." I didn't care for the lyrics but I liked the energy. It wasn't the music I listened to all of the time, but I listened to it enough for Erasure and VF to become forever in my mind.

I thought about these bands when converting "College Tape: #8: Supplement Fall 1990" which I created between 10/1/1990 and 11/1/1990.

These are the bands I had on this College Tape:
Missing Persons
Queensryche
Stryper
Suicidal Tendencies
Guns-n-Roses (My Michelle)
Assume (my basement band playing our original song called "Pretty Little Kitty")
Nancy Shanks (a song from "About Last Night" called "Trials of the Heart)
Buzzcocks
Guns-n-Roses (Welcome to the Jungle)
Dokken
B-52s
Wipeout
What About Me
Sweet Home Chicago (Serbi's band called Steel Blue from a rehearsal tape)
Bryan Adams
Hard to Handle
Blind Faith
Find Me
Unchained Melody
Vanilla Ice's "Ice Ice Baby"

And out of all those, this is the youtube video I chose:
 

No comments: