Thursday, February 14, 2013

VD

I think this is funny, but your opinion may differ.

It was 18 years ago today, 2 days into working at my very first TWing job, that 2/14/95 arrived and I failed as a husband.

For whatever reason, I didn't make it to the store to get even a card for my wife. I remember that night and it wasn't one of my finer moments. You see, only 7 years earlier, 2/14/89, Karen and I had restarted our relationship. Now, 7 years later, I had failed her.

This AM, as soon as I woke up, I gave Karen my card, which included a gift card to a new nails place that she had mentioned she wanted to try out sometime. I listened to her, I got her a thoughtful gift. And it's not just me that believes that:




She didn't remember that it was 18 years ago today that I had not gotten her anything.

My mother has dementia. I can't quote Karen's reply verbatim but it amounted to that she didn't think I needed to worry about getting Alzheimer's because I was able to remember VD 18 years ago. I remember because, I guess, I tend to remember dates that are not my finest moments. Off the top of my head:
  • I remember 10/7/1991 as a 'not so fine' day because I failed miserably during Student Teaching on that day in my Language Arts 10-1 class. 
  • A lot more that I've written about on this blog.
Anyways, let it never be forgotten that I gave my wife of 19 years a thoughtful gift on our 24th VD together.

It will kind of make up for the fact that, tonight, after supper, I am taking Alex and three of his friends to the Iowa Women's basketball game at Carver. Karen has no desire to go and Megan is working her normal 6-10 shift at Fareway. I've said that I would much rather spend VD with my wife than at a basketball game without her. The game starts at 7 so the journey to Carver begins at 6:15. The women *do* play PSU and I expect a good game since PSU is ranked #8 in the country. The women have lost their last 4 games and are on the edge of not making the NCAA tournament. Iowa City is hosting NCAA first and second round games. I think it would really suck if the women missed the tournament when they could be playing in front of their hometown fans.

No comments: