Monday, June 8, 2015

Good Deal or Bad Deal

I've never really put a "price" on the cost of ripping one of my CDs to MP3. Now I'm thinking about it because, from the Craigslist > Central New Jersey site comes this ad, that quotes a $.60 / CD cost.

Will transfer your CD collection to digital backup - With PRICING!! (Somerset County)
I will move all your CD's to digital format.
This is considered a "backup".
You need to tell me how many CDs you have and I can give you a quote.
All media removed from the CD will be in the best quality possible.
I don't take shortcuts and I pride myself in the work I do.

VERY AFFORDABLE RATES!!!!
I'M THE CHEAPEST PLACE YOU'LL FIND!!!

$0.60 cents per CD.

If you have any questions, please call, email or text me. I will get back to you within a day.


Let's just think about my 38 spindles of 100 CDs each. Using math I can actually do correctly, 38 x 100 = 3800 CDs x .60 = $2280. Sometimes, I see ads for 10,000 CDs, which means to have this person rip those 10,000 CDs at his rate, it would cost $6000.

That's a side business I would absolutely love to get into doing.

Or scanning pictures. In Cedar Rapids, there's this ad:


I'll digitize your photos for 10 cents each, minimum charge $20, includes up to 200 photos and a CD.
Additional photos at 10 cents each. Sorry, no quantity discounts.
Scanning is done at 600 dpi.

Additional services: DVD slide shows (with or without music) from your scanned or digital photos.


No comments: