Sunday, June 28, 2015

Range of Topics

I believe that a marriage is a man and a woman. I was married in a Catholic church. As this article points out, the idea of gay marriage is not something new. Closer to home, I recall a spirited debate in 2004 at a CEW meeting. A male member of our team and a female member of our team got into a spirited argument, each convinced their side was right. What I take away from that memory is that no one wins in discussions like this, whether it is about gay marriage or Metallica. Yeah, let me do my part to fill up cyberspace with more opinionated blabbing about Metallica.

The other day, I got caught up in watching the intro to the Metallica DVD called "Cunning Stunts" on youtube.com. I watched the band enter the arena, with the house lights on and a circular stage. They would emerge from their dressing room and sprint around the space between the security wall and the stage, slapping high-fives with the fans. Lars Ulrich then began playing a beat and was joined by Kirk, Jason, and James, playing the riff to the 8th track on "Reload" to the delight of the crowd. What intrigues me is that "Reload" is often dismissed as a terrible release but if you see the crowd, they are not reacting to the song as if it was a piece of music that is garbage - the heads are bobbing and the fists are pumping in the air. In a twisted, unconventional way, that seems to be where my head is at - I don't like the idea of gay marriage as a nationally accepted "normal" but I also don't like the idea of two people who love each being able to live in "some" states, but not in others. I know that Facebook has exploded with rainbows as an overlay to all sorts of profile pictures and national monuments, including the White House. I'm not really on board with all of that, but it is unsurprising that those feeling passionate about the issue of gay marriage are acting passionate.


The joke about this comic is that you have to assemble every thing when you purchase anything from IKEA - I've never purchased anything from the store so that is knowledge I don't have personal experience with - so part of assembling the crucifix that the priest in the comic purchased from IKEA is that the priest has to nail Christ to the cross. It's a funny comic because it reminds me that IKEA requires assembly for every thing, but it is also a reminder that Christ died for my sins and when I sin - hello? I am human - I am essentially helping Christ be nailed to the cross. God sent Christ to die for my sins.

No comments: