Thursday, June 11, 2015

Va Ca Day

Today is the beginning of the Sigwarth family reunion/campout in Elkader. I was wide awake at 6:15 today. I know the opportunity to sleep in was present, but it didn't matter. I had two thoughts. Either I could start thinking about loading the Ford with our camping supplies and not fall asleep or I could simply fall back asleep. I knew that if I fell asleep, when I woke up, I would regret that I hadn't gotten up at 6:15 and loaded the Ford. Thus, I got up and took some supplies to the Ford. I went through my golf bag and put the bean bag game in along with the Rubbermaids of food. I put my clothes in as well because I didn't want a repeat of the weekend (last summer) when I didn't remember my clothes and had to drive up to Prairie Du Chien, WI, to go to Wal-Mart to get clothes.

I admit I'm a little bit conflicted regarding whether to take my laptop to Elkader with me for the weekend. Part of me wants to test out the "new & improved" Wi-Fi that will be at our campsite during our month residency to gauge whether I could actually stay in Elkader during a week and work remotely. The other part of me doesn't want to bring it up so that I can authentically "unplug" for a period of time. I'm leaning towards "unplugging" this weekend and bringing up the laptop next weekend. There, I just decided.

I've never been a fan of the opening track on Metallica's "Ride the Lightning" release. I remember wishing "Fight Fire with Fire" would be the last track so I could stop my cassette player and fast forward. I may be thawing a bit in my harsh regard for the tune because when I watched the video below, I found myself gravitating to the intricate synchronized guitar solo. It made me think of the way Hetfield & Hammett are really a great duo on guitar.

I also have to say that I really enjoy watching the MetonTour videos. I like watching how the members interact in the tuning room prior to the gig... and watching Kirk Hammett untie and then retie his shoe.

No comments: