Friday, July 27, 2018

Tribute

I received this email:

I just released this music video/tribute to my grandfather who died 11/28/2016 and I wanted to share it with you. Thanks for your time, hope you enjoy it🙏

--
IG: @ConnRaney
www.facebook.com/connraney
Twitter: @ConnRaney

After I watched the video below:


I wrote this back to Conn:

I did enjoy it. I was very close to my grandma, who passed away on Apr 23, 2006. I understand what your lyrics are talking about - it feels like Grandma is with me during the things I do every day, both in visible & invisible wa[ys]. Visibly, I am reminded of her every day at work. On my desk, I have an ash tray that I used to play with & spin when I would visit her house – it’s where my keys go each day when I come to my cubicle. Even though my grandfather passed away when I was in kindergarten and I don’t really remember him before he became too sick to get out of bed, I have something of his to remind me each day as well. His last name was “Simons” but I have a gold pen holder in the shape of a railroad spike that he got from his employer – he worked for various railroads in the Midwest region – and on the railroad spike it says “Leo Simmons” – which I think is ironic because it’s a typo & my day job is working as a technical writer – so I’m all about finding & correcting typos. I lost my mother on Dec 29, 2014. I have a page on my blog about both my grandma & my mom on which I wrote my tribute to my mom: https://prhmusic.blogspot.com/p/mom.html

As far as your actual video, it’s kind of funny – I paused Metallica’s “Breadfan” to listen to your video. I wanted you to know that I have been where you are in your grieving process. Sometimes I watch videos from bands and artists and it doesn’t take any effort to dismiss what I heard and move on. After I watched your video, I wrote this email to you and I spent ~15 minutes trying to get the words right, which makes me think of your video where you’re trying to write and the words seem inadequate so you start over – I was like that as I wrote you this email.

I will remember you & your grandfather in my daily prayers.

No comments: