Thursday, July 12, 2018

Two Ideas in One Post

Here's a familiar fact to anyone who has paid attention to this blog: I was laid off from Pearson in January 2016. After a job search, I landed at the Health Care Information Systems (HCIS) department at the University of Iowa as a Senior Technical Writer. I love my job! I have zero issue working from 6 AM until 4 PM, 5 days a week, because I LOVE what I do. I have two big projects - disaster recovery documentation & Knowledge Management - that energize me daily about my work. I work with my favorite Help Authoring Tool - RoboHelp - on a daily basis, coding HTML, CSS, and JavaScript (sometimes) in Dreamweaver. I have great co-workers that sit near me, a great manager who "gets" a lot of my soapbox talk about content reuse, and a great CIO who "gets" a lot of my soapbox talk about content reuse - truly, in some regards, I have the means to have an excellent end to my career as a technical writer. When I think about my future, I think about working here for 20 years, which would put me as retiring on March 28, 2036 and taking that a step further, I would be 66 on that date.

That is why news articles like this one - University of Iowa faces off with children's hospital contractor in court today Judge calls this the last chance to make their case - make me nervous. I'm hoping that the resolution to the lawsuit does not impact me.
The second idea that is interrelated with being ecstatic to work in HCIS is how crappy the job market might be, if solely judging it upon CorridorCareers.com, as shown below:
The only job that looks remotely interesting is the Writer / Editor job in the U of I College of Education, but, in full-disclosure mode, the salary & job duties are not aligned with my skills & career history - thus, I'm not interested.

No comments: