Monday, July 8, 2019

Big Dog's Returning!

Years ago, there was a music venue in Cedar Rapids, IA, near Czech Village, called Big Dog's. I believe these are not the only bands I saw at Big Dog's, but they are the bands that stick out in my head:
  1. Faster Pussycat - on Mother's Day 1993
  2. Fight (Rob Halford's solo metal band) / Voivod - January 1994
  3. Top Heavy - 1998(?) - Top Heavy was a local 80s sounding band and I have their CD. 
    • I remember that their drummer had really long hair and played a massive double bass set. He had a fan set up behind him and the fan blew his hair in the air for a really cool effect.
  4. Supafuzz - early 2000s - great band from KY that had a strong following after "I Am the King" got played on Rock 108.
    • Supafuzz played more than once at Big Dog's. I think the second time they played there, I couldn't stay for the show but I went to Big Dog's and chatted with Dave, the singer. He gave me a CD with 3 tunes on it, including "I Did it for the Drugs," which I don't think ever made it onto a Supafuzz CD.
  5. Eric Sardinas - 2006(?) - great blues musician
Many other great bands played there. I know that when Sevendust played at Big Dog's, the Fire Marshall shut down the show due to capacity overflow - something about too many tickets being sold. I was not at that show, but it's relevant because a couple of months later, Sevendust scheduled a concert at the US Cellular Center (which I went to) and the tickets were either a measly $5 or a food donation. At that concert, Sevendust was the headliner. I went to that concert with a group of my work friends. We went to a bar before the show and it was 2-for-1 drinks. I kept waiting for us to order food, but no one did, so I drank too much beer on an empty stomach. At the concert, I continued to drink beer, including purchasing at least 2 from my high school swim team's coach's wife. Sadly, I didn't see Sevendust that night as I eventually passed out sometime prior to Sevendust taking the stage. I literally woke up when they were done playing.

What was my point?

I saw on a Facebook group that the building has been purchased with the intent of re-opening in January 2020. The new owner plans to restore the building. In response to a request for pictures of what the venue used to look like inside, this video was shared.


No comments: