Wednesday, January 15, 2020

I like the NBA, you like the NFL, you are wrong so be silent?

When two people disagree and have opposing viewpoints - whether it is "I like Miller Lite, you like Bud Light" or "I like the NBA, you like the NFL" - the fact that you like something different is not harmful, careless, and hurtful. It can't be acceptable to just be quiet and when someone says, "I like Miller Lite" and for you, the Bud Light fan to be quiet. Our society cannot thrive when the Bud Light fan is quiet and says nothing, especially when the Bud Light fan is asked for an opinion.
I thought about that when I read an article about a totally different topic. It was an article on Huffington Post that started me to think about this. The author of this article - I Used To Be An Anti-LGBTQ Evangelical. Here's What Finally Changed My Heart And Mind - states that she is a professional writer and I believe it. Her words flow together nicely. I found this part of the article worth reflecting upon:

After Cameron discussed his thoughts on gay marriage and homosexuality on CNN, I felt it was important to show my support for him. I posted a status on my personal Facebook account that read, "It’s important to watch the entire interview when looking at Kirk Cameron’s (and many conservative Christians’) view on gay marriage. I’m so proud of Kirk for saying what he believes, instead of brushing aside this important topic for fear of the very real controversy."
What I didn’t realize at the time was how harmful that single post would be. Even now, seven years later, my friends who are LGBTQ allies recall that post ⁠and how alienating and painful my words were. After recently re-watching Cameron’s interview and reading over my response to it, I’m shocked at myself ― at how blatantly careless and hurtful I was.

I am trying to wrap my head around how her Facebook post was harmful, careless, and hurtful - I just don't see it. All she said was be informed about what a person on the "other side of the issue" thinks. If that is harmful, careless, and hurtful, how can anyone with opposing viewpoints come together on some level? How can we expect the Miller Lite fan and the Bud Light fan come together if one is not allowed to state their opinion? I don't think it's right.

No comments: