Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Never Again!

The latest "Ask the Headhunter" column hit home when I read it today. The column addresses a reader's question about being in a Wrong Job Cycle.

I felt like that was the case in April 2011 and again in January 2016.

In Spring 2011, I felt that way because I had left the employer that I had given a dozen years to in order to join the Unnamed Hellhole in southern Iowa employer. After struggling to find my groove, we parted ways in April 2011.

In January 2016, I felt that way because my position was eliminated by my employer.

I'm ecstatic that I believe I will never feel like that ever again.

Note: This comment was on the aforementioned page and while some of the details are not exactly in-synch with my experience, it is close enough to include in this post:


Sometimes the employer will just lie to get you to take a job

I was 63, had been laid off in a reorganization from the job I expected to last to retirement, and was working a soul-sucking contract job to pay the mortgage and health insurance. My resume was everywhere and a company contacted me for a position doing something I had done well before in a very similar organization. Just like at the previous good job, this necessary function had some major problems but I had the knowledge and experience to turn it around quickly. During the interviews I made it clear that good software was the key to straightening things out and running them efficiently going forward. I named a product that I knew was good. I was promised that I would be choosing the product as soon as I came on board. The salary and benefits were decent and I would be doing something I liked.

It became clear that the problems with this function went a lot deeper than they disclosed (and I did ask) and they had no intention of keeping the promise made. I soon learned that there was no money in the budget for the kind of software I specified and that my supervisor had already all but given the business to the vendor of a highly inferior product costing a tenth as much. I could write a book on the other issues with this job. It went downhill from there and I was let go after seven months. I hung on until they fired me rather than quit so I could get unemployment. The experience made the prior soul-sucking job look attractive in comparison.

No comments: