Monday, May 11, 2020

On My Bucket List

Sometimes, I listen to bands I've liked for a long time and realize that I have never seen the band for an entire concert. The Offspring were one of many bands that I have heard at Memphis in May, but I didn't see their entire set.

The Offspring and I go way back. I vividly remember playing pool in the Czech Village in Cedar Rapids in what used to be across from the museum in a bar, which was one of my favorite bars, that, right now, I can't remember the name of it. Even so, I specifically remember I chose the tune "Bad Habit" from the Smash release on the jukebox.

The Offspring are just one of those bands that I enjoy, starting with Smash through all the rest of their albums. I think it's the wit in the lyrics that I would choose as my favorite part of their material. It feels like the wit is effortless and from that wit, there comes humor. Some bands are blatantly trying to be funny - Psychostick comes to mind - while The Offspring is a band who is funny because they are being truthful.

While thinking about The Offspring this morning, I realized listening to their tunes would be good background music as I work. While this is a seriously awesome setlist, it's also incomplete. From Smash, the tunes "Self-Esteem" & "Gotta Get Away" & "Bad Habit" are DEFINITELY  missing, while at the same time, I think it's a very good setlist. It's kind of like when I look at a Metallica concert setlist and notice that one of my favorite tunes, "The Frayed Ends of Sanity," is not included. It's still likely to be considered a good setlist by me, but I know I would make at least one change if I could. That's what I'm trying to say about the "Best of Offspring" playlist below, which includes these tunes:

Best of Offspring

  1. Want You Bad
  2. Original Prankster
  3. The Kids Aren't Alright
  4. All I Want
  5. You're Gonna Go Far, Kid
  6. (Can't Get My) Head Around You
  7. Why Don't You Get A Job?
  8. Can't Repeat
  9. Hit That
  10. Pretty Fly (For A White Guy)
  11. The Meaning Of Life
  12. Gone Away
  13. I Choose
  14. Dividing By Zero/Slim Pickens Does The Right Thing And Rides The Bomb To Hell
  15. Million Miles Away
  16. Kristy, Are You Doing Okay?
  17. Defy You
  18. She's Got Issues
  19. Days Go By
  20. Hammerhead


Why am I even thinking about The Offspring? Because these two videos were in my "Suggested Videos" list on Youtube.com!



No comments: