Friday, November 6, 2020

Returning Briefly

I've gone the entire week without writing about what's going on in my life and I don't know what conclusion to draw from that simple truth. I have been working, very hard, at getting my disaster recovery documentation to go from my local laptop, where it is compiled into a browser-based output, to the S:\common\drpcurver folder and, this is the "new" part, then, its contents are copied to the ShareFile\DrDoc folder and, from that folder, the contents are synched to the local machine of the Directors.

I have had some success and some unsuccess with this project.

My success is in the reality that this flow works.

My unsuccess is in the reality that this flow is rather cumbersome because my "current" browser-based output from RoboHelp has

6772 Files 4,959,647,173 bytes

In my professional judgement, it takes too long for those 6772 files to be put through the current route from my laptop to s:\common\drpcurver to ShareFile\DrDoc to Director Local Machine.

So what's a Technical Writer, who uses RoboHelp, to do? I know! Create a .CHM file of the disaster recovery documentation so that only a single file goes through the current route from my laptop to s:\common\drpcurver to ShareFile\DrDoc to Director Local Machine!

I tried that.

RoboHelp bombs out and says that the file could not be created.

Is it the weekend yet?!?

No comments: