Monday, April 25, 2022

Old Obsession

There was a time in my life when I was unhappy at "work" and to remedy that feeling of unhappiness, I would scour sites like Dice.com to seek out other jobs. I happened to stumble upon a site with a link to Dice.com so for a few moments, I briefly was taken back to the old way I used to think about how if I wanted to change whatever issue(s) I had at whatever employer I was working at, all I had to do was change the primary variable - the name of the company on my paychecks. The sad reality is changing the name on my paycheck was not always a timely or fruitful change. Sometimes, yes, it would magically dispense with those issues, making them disappear. However, new challenges always replaced the previous challenges. 

However, I am writing this post this AM to proclaim that one realized reality of really enjoying my work and not having challenges with my employer is that I don't really look at Dice.com or other job sites anymore. It is not a secret that I plan to retire from my current employer on 3-28-2036. I will turn 66 on 12-4-2035 and I want to work another 115 days (3 months, 3 weeks, 3 days) until Friday, 3-28-2036, which is my 20 year anniversary. 

One recent thought I had about this is that, if the current practice of our department meetings taking place on the 2nd Tuesday of the month, I would actually need to work until Tuesday, April 8, 2036 - 126 days (4 months, 4 days) so 11 days past my 20 year anniversary to receive recognition at the staff meeting.

No comments: