Saturday, April 12, 2008

Rain and Pours

The end of my week turned out a little different than I expected.

We had the kids' Spring Musical @ school on Thursday night but there was a tornado warning. When the principal gave the all clear signal, we grabbed the kids and drove home through the driving rain. When we got home and had the van in the garage, the heavens opened up and it began to rain even harder. It was good timing to have arrived @ home when we did.

Last night was the Pre-Gala at school. We met a group of parents at a restaurant called the Blackstone. Of course, since there was a pool table, I got into a doubles game with the three other guys. We won the first game b/c the other team scratched on the 8 ball, but after that, we lost 3. It was competitive, but I couldn't find my rhythm. I'd make a shot, be set up to make a second one and miss. I had a grilled chicken sandwich with bacon and cheddar cheese, which came with fries, and it was good. I'd go there again. The atmosphere of the place is a sports bar with lots of big flat screen TVs.

The Pre-Gala itself has improved in my eyes over the years. As our kids have gone through the grades, we see more and more of the same people to the degree that it's a big social event. You walk around bidding on prizes all in an effort to raise money for the school. They serve drinks and food and it's fun. I bid on an Iowa Men's T-shirt and won it for $7. I also was bidding on a Green Bay Packers blanket - my last bid was $55 - but I was outbid @ $60.

We left around 10, got home, had a beer with the babysitter, started watching "Everybody Loves Raymond" - the episode where Debra asks Marie about their private bedroom life - and fell asleep.

Today, Saturday, is baseball practice with Alex from 9-11, then Mass @ 5:15, then up to Cedar Rapids for the "Club Swing" show at the Paramount. My friend Phil gave me his tickets b/c he's in Las Vegas for a co-worker's wedding.

Tomorrow, we have nothing planned except needing to put down step 1 of the fertilizer on our yard. I'll work with my son on his tutor assignment, listen to his piano lesson, and do some flash cards.

By the by - no piano bag yet. I've heard anecdotes that when you least expect it, it will show up. I hope that is the case.

The weather has been rainy all week. My brother-in-law's sump pump quit, ran on battery backup for 8 hours, died, and now he has 1" of water in his basement. I feel awful for him. He is already remodeling his house and garage - it's a massive project that I feel like I've not helped hm enough with - and he had been storing furniture and stuff during it in the basement. It serves as a painful reminder that if you have a sump pump, you need to check it.

As far as music goes, when we were playing pool last night, a song called "When the Heart Rules the Mind" came on. GTR was a band that I used to adore. The guitarists were Steve Hackett & Steve Howe. Their other single from their debut release was called "The Hunter." I'd forgotten about them until I heard the song. Hearing it didn't help my pool game.

1 comment:

David Amulet said...

I can't believe you heard "The Hunter" in a pool hall! I haven't heard that song, except when I play my GTR CD.

I wrote about GTR's Genesis connection a few posts ago; it's good to see GTR and Steve Hackett getting some love!