Friday, April 18, 2008

Taking out the Trash

Sometimes, I write pieces for myself. My review of the Marshalltown, IA, band Modern Life is War is one such piece. This band is awful. I have been writing music reviews for many years - since 8th grade if you wanted to count my review of Grim Reaper's "See You in Hell" in 8th grade back in 1983-ish - and MLIW is enough to make me cringe. I've heard bad bands before - Juggernaut in the Twin Cities was awful as was Dokken's "Shadowlife" and a few in my "30 in 30" effort like D.O.A. Modern Life is War tops all of those bands as being the absolute worst. Mindless drivel that deserves to never be heard again. Of course, me writing about it deserves to be read.
A couple of other housekeeping notes:

  1. I work as a Technical Writer @ a software company in Cedar Rapids. I've been with the company since 10/1/98. I have a fantastic cool manager who lets me get up on a soapbox every so often. I didn't think it was clear what I do to earn a paycheck.
  2. I love my life. I have an excellent family who makes my world complete. My wife continually shows me what life can be like. My kids are the best in the world and make my life complete.
  3. I think there is a lot of political nonsense going on in the world. I think there's a lot of rhetoric from both sides of the aisle about 'changing Washington.' I think that has been talked about and talked about and nothing ever gets done. 'We feel your pain' says the candidate to the poor, 'but I'm looking out for myself first.' Gas prices are outrageously high, oil companies have huge profits, and... oh wait. I don't want this to turn into the Daily Koos website or the O'Reilly Factor page on the FoxNews.com site. I wish gas would go back to $1.50/gallon but I think it's going to be up to $4.00/gallon before long.
  4. Finally, it's 12:15 AM on Friday and I have a long day ahead of me.

No comments: