Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Camping

We're not camping in Elkader this weekend. I found this on You Tube:






It is utterly crazy to watch, even if you are unfamiliar with the town. When they show the bridge with the water underneath it and a gate - when there isn't water gushing by, you can go down some steps. Alex and I throw rocks in the river sometimes.


My in-laws camper is on the above page. If you look in the left corner, there is a cabin. My in-law's cabin is about 5 campers 'up' from the cabin. They can't get to the camper to investigate the damage but all assumptions are that the camper is totaled. Their current thought is that they will not purchase a replacement camper, which effectively ends their summer camping excursions to Elkader where they have had a permanent spot for at least 4 years - maybe longer. There is a lot of revenue being sucked out of Elkader. I question whether we will actually camp in Elkader this year. I don't think the water will go down as quickly as an optimist and think that the water will still be an issue 2 weeks from now. God can feel free to prove me wrong...

Supposedly, the movie theater has water in the basement and so does the bank that is on the corner. The bank's computer system is in the basement so I hope they have a good backup!

My hope is that the predicted rains hold off.

No comments: