Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The Grind

A day into the grind and wow. Last night @ Alex's game, we were told the game was called. We told that to the other team. Then, a couple of minutes later, the umpire said that the game was delayed, not called. When we told that to the other coach, he said his players had already left. So, Alex didn't play.

We went up to Megan's game, where there were a couple of rain delays before the game was over with her team winning. She made the last out b/c she was playing 1st base, the ball was hit, and she caught it. The ump called the batter out.

The worst feeling in the world is having stuff break. When we got home, Karen told me about how the garage door opener is acting up. You have to hold the button in for the door to close. What a pain in the a$$. I hate stuff like this. I used to get all in a tizzy about it, but now I have a different attitude, one of "Okay, there's a reason this is happening. What is it so I can fix it?" It's part of being a homeowner that after 14 years and two houses, I'm finally catching on. There's still the "you've got to be kidding me' gut-level instinctive reaction I have to something 'broken' or 'not working' like the garage door, but I'm more positive about it. I think it through and try to figure it out. It used to be my first instinct to immediately call the 'expert' and have them look at it. My experience is that there is rarely good news when it gets to that point. Kind of like the mower in May - by the time it gets to 'this doesn't work,' it's already too late.

Only a game tomorrow night for both kids. Megan has a double-header - Alex has one game. Thursday is North Liberty Days, Friday is leaving for Elkader and this weekend is relaxing.

One sub-plot brewing is that Karen is battling a horrendous cold - she's staying home today. I told her that I didn't care about camping - sitting around the campfire in the cold air isn't going to help her feel better. While I like camping, I think there's more important things in life that.need attention - her health! She is going to the doctor today. I'm putting our chances at 60% we will go camping. Based upon what the doctor says, that number may dip below 50% later today.

No comments: