Sunday, March 1, 2009

Dudes End Season & other (mostly) Positive Notes

Alex's basketball season is over. We played in a tournament in Lone Tree. We were schooled in the first game and lost by 30 points. To our credit, we played better in the second half than we did in the first half. We played better defense, shot selection was better, and we passed more. We won our second and third games, During the last game, Alex made 2 baskets. The smile on his face was huge and I am very proud of him. So I am very happy with how the season ended. It was not without some drama but, for the most part, it was a good season. We do not have practice today and probably won't think about basketball until August. Baseball season is next. I anticipate that we will start practices in April so we have one month where we don't have a go-go-go schedule as far as sports.

I think that we will maintain a very busy schedule, though, because we have lots going on in our lives. In addition to the usual piano lessons, sax lessons, tutors, and school functions, we also have the CEW (Christian Experience Weekend) coming up. I've been involved with CEW since March 1998 when I attended my first one in Dubuque. I think that each weekend is special and hits home in a unique way. I wouldn't be involved with them if they weren't a powerful element in my faith life.

Speaking of faith, we are playing @ 11 AM Mass today. Alex is excited because our Music Director told me I could have the set of Ludwig drums that are in the storage room behind the altar. I will need to get new drumheads, at some point, and clean them up but they will be a good first set of drums for Alex, who will start drum lessons fairly soon. There is a snare, a bass, and a tom. The idea is that the storage room where the furnace is located will be set up so that the drums can be set up. A few things need to happen first, though, like reorganizing that storage room and getting a rug to put under the drums so that they don't slide when Alex plays.

I have a review of Opeth's "The Roundhouse Tapes" to write, some work @ work to do to finish up what I didn't get done on Friday, and some other things that need to be done.

Oh yeah. Work? I have my days scheduled out to September. There are a lot of projects and initiatives to complete. It is going to be interesting to get through everything. I wanted to get through all the work on my list by June 1st, but with the schedule I was given on Friday for our next release, I don't think that is likely to happen. As always, there is a very tight deadline and, as always, too much work to be done within not enough time to do it. It's similar to when I had 12 weeks of work to do within 4 weeks. There are a lot of projects that should already be done but they are not and, frankly, I will not have time to work on them because of the *other* stuff that has to be completed. I sometimes feel like I'm Lando Calrissian as depicted in this scene in Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back, the projects I have to do are Chewbacca, and all my users are Princess Leia, wanting answers as to why the projects aren't done.

No comments: