Thursday, October 1, 2009

Bittersweet Anniversary

Exactly 11 years ago yesterday was my last day at my previous employer. I had been writing documentation for their software. I had an office, with a door, and the fastest PC in the company. I had a CD burner. I had total control over what the doc looked like. I had a window.

I had an office with a door.

Sometime in July 1998, the company understood they were having financial issues. My co-workers and I would sit at the lunch table and hope the mailman would bring a check from a client solely so that payroll could be met. I know for a fact that the owner of the company took money from his personal funds in order to keep the company afloat during those times. I was asked to stop writing documentation – which was non-billable work – and to start data entry of client data – which was billable work.

I tell that story only because the subject of “I should get a raise” reared its ugly head on HATT. Catherine said she wanted a raise because:
First, because I want to be paid the same sort of rate as the rest of the team, as I am making at least as equal a contribution as the least productive member.
Second, I have sole responsibility for the docs for this team, with no help and no guidance.
Third, I have introduced localisation methods to my employer that weren't used before.
Good luck to all those seeking raises!

No comments: