Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Ambitious Goals

My goal is to reach 1000 posts by 12/31/2011. How crazy is that? Only crazy b/c I don't know that I have that much to say. Two self-imposed rules: no single sentence entries - each entry must be long enough that it makes sense so don't expect one word entries just to make a quota. The other rule is that it can't just be a series of youtube videos - I want CONTENT! - so that I can look at this as an accomplishment, not just a way to fill in cyberspace.

That all said, I made a startling discovery. I kept an Excel file that lists all my CDs and DVDs and music and I knew it had been a while since I had updated it. I create a new file for the current year by copying the previous year's file and renaming it to the current year. I just created Tapes11.xls (from Tapes10.xls). Guess what the modified date/time was on Tapes10.xls?

1/1/2010.

I kid you not. I went a year and one month (to the day) without updating my Excel file. I don't know if that is a sign that I shouldn't care what I have or if it means that I will never be able to get caught up. I'll stew about it for a bit. I do know I have 13,000+ MP3s on my external HD and assembling those files into my existing layout will be a challenge. Plus, I have ripped various CDs to MP3 (and onto the external HD) so I can listen to them without physically having the CD. How do I accommodate that? Do I artificially inflate my total count just because I wanted to be able to hear Mothermania, Count the Stars, Bayside, and countless other favorite bands from my external HD and not have to carry a physical CD of it? I'm not sure how the MP3s fit into the paradigm of spindles of CD-Rs. And here's the issue. I want to listen to Lamb of God's "New American Gospel." It is on spindle A20, according to the list I have. Is that really where it is? How outdated was the list when I stopped updating it?

No comments: