Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Don't Recall This or That

Half-way to work today, I went into panic mode.

It was more like PANIC mode than panic mode.

I thought I had left my cell phone at home.

Unfortunately, this is something I have done to myself for years. I do not remember exactly what I did just a few moments ago.

My long-term memory is awesome.

  • I can tell you the concert I attended when the band came out and the singer played "Let It Snow" on the piano prior to the concert beginning.
    • Billy Joel 
  • I can quote the lyrics of the first song I ever really knew the lyrics to 
    • "I'm living in sin / At the Holiday Inn" by Gene Simmons on his 1978 solo release 
  • I can even say the date of the wedding I attended when I did the following:
    1. got knee walking drunk
    2. insisted the driver (JR) pull over because I was going to get sick
    3. stumbled into my room with the help from James
    4. got grounded by my mother because when I had gotten out of the car on Highway 13, I lost my balance and fell to my knees in a ditch that was muddy
    • Ken Schmitt, 7/9/1990). 

All of those things, I can tell you.

But if anyone had asked me whether my cell phone was in my bag or at home or some other place, I couldn't have answered with 100% confidence.

It was in my coat pocket. I don't remember putting it there.

In all the things going on in my busy life, I need to somehow find a way to calm my mind to the extent that I can embrace what I am doing as I do it so that I can recall what I did. It's a daily challenge for me.

No comments: