Why would anyone take "route 2" which adds 33 minutes to the drive?!?
No, I'm not going anywhere. In fact, I feel really REALLY good about work. The Disaster Recovery documentation is shaping up - perhaps I will post an overview in the future of what it's shaping up to look like, as far as structure.
Here's the job description. It requires the use of InDesign, which I hate* and PageMaker**. I have no interest in leaving where I am.
Technical Writer - Mount Pleasant, Iowa
Hearth & Home Technologies - Mount Pleasant, IAHelp us prepare and manage all installation documents necessary for our family of products as a Technical Writer in Mount Pleasant, Iowa at Hearth & Home Technologies. This rewarding career includes competitive compensation, comprehensive benefits and a supportive environment focused on developing your skills.
Our Technical Writer is responsible for the technical writing, editing and content management of product installation manuals, warning labels and user guides intended for customer use for Hearth & Home Technologies’ products. You’ll be working with the production, engineering, new product development, technical support and marketing departments to accurately capture HHT products in a written and pictorial/graphic format.
Hearth & Home Technologies believes in the power of a Lean Manufacturing, Quality and Safety focus. Our Technical Writer plays a vital role in ensuring compliance with all labeling requirements and clearly communicating installation and user information to make sure all parts are properly installed and utilized to support objectives at Hearth & Home Technologies.
Your role as a Technical Writer
- Perform technical writing, editing and content management of product installation manuals, warning labels and user guides. Interacts effectively with engineers, designers and product managers to understand critical product features requiring explanation in product documentation.
- Coordinate document changes and ensures consistency between documents through interaction with offsite documentation staff. This includes ensuring basic standards are met for document quality, clarity and content at other HHT locations.
- Ensure appropriate safety and warning content is properly presented in the product documentation and labeling through interaction with engineering, purchasing, quality, reliability, product liability, agency, governmental bodies and other resources.
- Maintain familiarity with applicable standards and codes to ensure compliance of product documentation and labeling consistent with the required standard of care.
- Ensure product documentation is properly controlled and that current revisions are available for both production and approved user access on a timely basis.
- Perform special projects related to continuous improvement of documentation and documentation systems. Supports strategies for the implementation of document improvement and change.
RequirementsThe requirements of a Technical Writer
- 4 year degree and 3 years’ experience in technical writing or a combination of education and experience.
- 3 or more years’ experience working with desktop publishing software, including but not limited to, PageMaker, InDesign, Illustrator, PostScript (Auto Cad), Acrobat Professional, and Photoshop.
- Ability to interact effectively with technical staff. Able to grasp technical and safety implications and transform them into effective instructions.
- Must be a team player, results oriented and able to work in a fast-paced and changing environment.
About Working for Hearth & Home TechnologiesHearth & Home Technologies is the world’s largest developer, manufacturer and supplier of fireplaces, stoves and hearth products. As the Hearth Experts™, we thrive on continual innovation and work to incorporate the latest in material, design and technology. Our consumer-focused approach, strong brands and streamlined value chain help us lead every aspect of the hearth industry.
Lakeville, Minnesota is our home, but we have locations throughout the United States. Hearth & Home Technologies is a subsidiary of HNI Corporation (NYSE: HNI) and serves residential and commercial markets. HHT produces the industry’s best and most-recognized brands, including: Heat & Glo®, Heatilator®, Quadra-Fire®, Harman®, SimpliFire™, EcoChoice™ and PelPro™. The company also manages Fireside Hearth & Home™ retail stores and builder design centers.
Why Choose Hearth & Home Technologies
Take the next step in your career by applying for a job today.
- Working for the industry leader of a product that people love
- Competitive compensation and benefits
- Positive environment where we work together as a team
* Editor's Note: Hatred of InDesign is tied directly to the inability of co-workers to use it correctly, which is to not use it to maintain a software user guide with a manually typed TOC and not styles and no standard for using one or two spaces after a period (the rule was "use one unless it looks funny, then use two") and manually drawing a line from the end of a heading to the right margin and ... and ... and ... yeah, all of those are closely related to how InDesign was being used, not the actual product.
** Editor's Note: PageMaker was used in college (25 years ago) to lay out the Reflections literary magazine. It wasn't a favorite tool then. PageMaker ceased active development in 2004. Read more here.