Tuesday, February 26, 2019

A Message to AMC - NOT from Me.

You know, I 'get' that people can have their own opinions about The Walking Dead. I just don't agree with the authors of these articles. I don't really care about the ratings, though I fully understand that without ratings & viewers, there's no feasible way a show with a big budget, which I presume The Walking Dead has can continue. There are likely other articles online that spin the ratings for the show as a signal that the show should end and, to be fair, perhaps there ought to be a marketing campaign to say to those who have never watched the show, "You can start watching now and figure out what is going on." After all, many of the original cast members are gone through death or through abandoning the location of the communities for someplace else that will be explained (hopefully) in one of the movies that will (someday) be on Netflix.

The argument against that sort of marketing campaign, though, is it places new viewers as a higher priority over viewers that have been watching the show for at least a couple of seasons. I can testify that Alex, my son, stopped watching the show when Negan was introduced. I can also testify that Karen, my wife, stopped tolerating the show when Negan was introduced. Their perspective is that the character of Negan was introduced as a vicious and evil. He was introduced brandishing a baseball bat with barbed wire on it and, in his first scene, he murders a couple of adored characters. Over the next two seasons, he also murdered other characters who were not as adored as the first two, but still, he was a bully and personified evil. It turned a lot of people, including my wife & son, off of the show.

That seems to be the issue with the authors of the articles below. They all have negative opinions of the show and think it needs to end. Go ahead, read their words, but know this. I think it's a good show. I think the current arc for the characters is interesting and as the show has always done, there are clues to what caused the characters to act as they are now acting. I am invested enough in the show that I will watch the conclusion of Season 9B, which has 5 episodes which will air as follows:
  1. 3/03
  2. 3/10
  3. 3/17
  4. 3/24
  5. 3/31
I am eager to learn about the motivation behind the characters as that has yet to be fully explained. If I have any gripe about the series, it would be that I feel like the episodes are too short. I feel like when the episode is over, that I want more scenes. I want the episodes to be twice as long because I want MORE of these characters.

All of that said, here, then, are the articles that make the case that The Walking Dead should end. I disagree.
  1. A message to AMC: ‘The Walking Dead’ needs an end date
  2. 'The Walking Dead' Isn't Dead Yet, But It's Dying -- And It's Time To Die
  3. ‘The Walking Dead’ Fans ‘Can’t Assume’ The Show Won’t End After Next Season

No comments: