Friday, February 22, 2019

Perfect Job ... 27 Years Ago!

27 years ago, I was in the infancy of my very first post-college job search. I was a senior at Mount Mercy College, with the horror of student teaching in the Language Arts area behind me, enrolled in 4 classes in order to complete my Bachelor's degree in English, and more than I realized at the time, I was SOOOO ready to graduate in May 1992. This technical writing internship that was in my Indeed.com email would have been a perfect job for me on 2/22/1992.


Sure, the commute between Cedar Rapids & Ankeny for a part-time, temporary, internship, would have been tough to justify, but then again, I remember driving to Des Moines for a job interview at a Catholic newspaper in 1992. I didn't get the job because I sucked at job interviews. 


The reason I would have been interested in this job has more to do with where I was outside of my career. On 2/22/1992, Karen and I were already serious. I knew I was going to propose to her after I graduated from college. I knew that the probable way to being able to do that was to have a job. An internship at Casey's hopefully would have led to that permanent position. Yes, that 2 hour commute would have been tough, but I knew Karen was the woman for me to be with for the rest of my life and if driving 4 hours a day to a part-time, temporary, internship in Ankeny would get me to my goal, then I sincerely believe I would have done that.

Editor's Note: Using the "Crappy jobs that I won't apply for" label.

No comments: