Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Loving this Storyline

At first blush, putting the mega-powerhouse Samoa Joe in a storyline with Rey Mysterio felt like a bad idea because it has been done many times throughout Mysterio's career.

I can remember Mysterio fighting so many "monsters" who outmatched his size like me to an ant, only to watch Mysterio miraculously pull a move out of his arsenal to secure the win. Read about some of those moments here. A decade ago, there was this article - Rey Mysterio Jr.: Greatest High Flyer of Our Time or an Overated Old Man? - which I hesitated even mentioning since there are no specific examples of the type of matches I'm talking about. Watch this instead


as well as this one because you will see him in spot #116:


I digress, as I often do.

Samoa Joe is not like those other monsters. When Mysterio defeated Samoa Joe, it took me by surprise, even though, like I just said, Mysterio's pro wrestling career has literally been about facing an opponent with more strength and more height. The dude is billed as weighing 175 pounds and stands at 5' 6" whereas Samoa Joe is billed as 282 pounds and stands at 6′ 2" - so 8" shorter and 107 pounds lighter than Samoa Joe.

This is what happened last night when I was at the Mushroomhead concert in Iowa City:


No comments: