Friday, June 7, 2019

Riding the Wave

This morning has been a wave for me.

The wave started when I read a press release in my Inbox about seeing John 5 and The Aristocrats in concert on Sunday, September 1, 2019, in Los Angeles, CA.

I was not interested for three reasons:
  1. I don't live in Los Angeles
  2. I don't have a free ticket
  3. I know we are busy on Sunday, September 1, 2019

I didn't think it would be possible to create a scenario by which I would be there.

Then, I saw Logan Miles Nix play this drum solo:


Then I read that Marco Minnemann plays in The Aristocrats:


Even as I attempt to make it through a 21 minute drum solo, I was mesmerized. Here's a quick highlight about why I would love to see him play. I think it's not going out on a limb to state that drummers who play two bass drums have my respect. I have tried to play double bass and have never gotten used to the way I have to sit, which is with my legs spread apart wider than what feels comfortable. I have never tried playing double bass with a double bass drum pedal so maybe if I had one of those, I would work on playing double bass drums to the point of ability. Anyways, drummers with two bass drums often play amazing patterns. That said, it's far less common to watch a drummer NAIL a double hi-hat rhythm!



So now, when I re-read the press release I received, with my new-found knowledge about Logan Miles Nix and Marco Minnemann, I am a little more sad now than when I first read the email, that I don't live in Los Angeles, that I don't have a free ticket, and that I have other plans on that Sunday.

JOHN 5 and the Creatures - comprised of world-renowned guitarist JOHN 5, bassist Ian Ross and drummer Logan Miles Nix - and The Aristocrats (guitarist Guthrie Govan, bassist Bryan Beller and drummer Marco Minnemann) will team up to co-headline an amazing night of instrumental euphoria on Sunday, September 1 at 1720 in Los Angeles. The show will be the first JOHN 5 performance following the July 31 release of the anxiously awaited new album, Invasion.

"JOHN 5 and The Aristocrats - It doesn't get much better than that," John 5 says. "It's one show only and you're not going to want to miss it. It's going to be a very exciting night, and definitely one to remember."

Tickets are available now via www.etix.com/ticket/p/5271486/john-5the-aristocrats--los-angeles-1720. Special VIP Packages will also be available for JOHN 5 through the JOHN 5 webstore at www.john-5.com/store.

Says The Aristocrats, "We always say that anything can happen onstage at an Aristocrats show - and that goes double for a JOHN 5/Aristocrats double bill! We're psyched because The Aristocrats and JOHN 5 are obviously coming at the instrumental rock thing from just completely different angles, and neither one of us is playing it straight down the middle. Should be a fun night for anyone in L.A. who likes their music loud and bent."


JOHN 5 kicked off the year with the debut video from Invasion, the campy animated "Zoinks!" clip, followed by three equally eccentric videos for "Midnight Mass," "I Am John 5" and "Crank It - Living with Ghosts." Invasion was produced and mixed by Barry Pointer (Richie Sambora, Joe Perry, Steve Vai, Jackson Browne). A special edition of Invasion will be available for purchase at the Los Angeles show.

JOHN 5 and The Creatures is:
JOHN 5 - guitars
Ian Ross - bass
Logan Miles Nix - drums

The Aristocrats have established themselves as one of the most musically original, refreshingly irreverent and entertaining instrumental rock-fusion acts on the planet. They are touring to promote their most ambitious and exploratory studio album yet, entitled 
You Know What...?

The opening act for the evening will be the popular rock-fusion trio Travis Larson Band.

Hopefully, someone at the concert posts video to youtube so I can watch it.

No comments: