Friday, June 19, 2020

I Remember This

The other day, I returned to the "Wrestling with Wregret" channel on Youtube because I hadn't watched one of his videos in a while. The video I watched recapped when Roddy Piper was in WCW. As I watched the video, I realized that while I think I remember a lot of things, I don't actually remember as much as I think I do.

What I mean by that is I remember watching WCW weekly, especially during this era of WCW and I know I paid attention to what I was watching. In my defense, during this epoch of when I watched WCW, I would watch it while I was often trying to also keep pace with the events that were happening in rival organization WWE (then called the WWF) on a different channel. All of that is to say that I realize many details about Piper's tenure that are included within the video were familiar, but I wouldn't have been able to state them without seeing the video.

Some examples of this are that while I remembered that Piper showed up at a PPV to confront Hulk Hogan, I didn't remember the name of the PPV when he did so. While I remembered some of the promos that Piper ranted about, such as remembering that Piper confronted Eric Bischoff on an episode of WCW and then had been beaten down in an ambush by the nWo members, I didn't remember that it was Piper who revealed that Eric Bischoff had been secretly working with the nWo behind the scenes. Up until that point, Bischoff had appeared to be not on the side of the nWo.

I realize those are nuances to the overall storyline regarding Piper and the nWo. It's not like I didn't remember Piper was the main "face" (good guy) going up against the main "heel" (bad guy) Hulk Hogan. I also realize that there were a lot of hours of pro wrestling that I watched - I can't even guestimate how many hours of WCW, TNA, WWE, & ECW TV I have watched, which doesn't even include the hours of pro wrestling I have watched on YouTube. I can't expect myself to keep it all straight as it's so much like a soap opera with characters coming in to storylines and then, eventually, moving out of storylines. I love it, don't get me wrong, but I acknowledge I am not going to retain every episode and every wrestling move I see and every promo a wrestler says in or out of the squared circle. I just wanted to write about what I was thinking about when I watched the Roddy Piper in WCW video.


No comments: