Monday, August 3, 2009

Who's He Going to Tell? and Bands I might Join?

Father Norton woke up Sunday morning and realizing it was an exceptionally beautiful and sunny early spring day, decided he just had to play golf.

So... he told the Associate Pastor that he was feeling sick and persuaded him to say Mass for him that day.

As soon as the Associate Pastor left the room, Father Norton headed out of town to a golf course about forty miles away.

This way he knew he wouldn't accidentally meet anyone he knew from his parish. Setting up on the first tee, he was alone. After all, it was Sunday morning and everyone else was in church!

At about this time, Saint Peter leaned over to the Lord while looking down from the heavens and exclaimed, "You're not going to let him get away with this, are you?"

The Lord sighed, and said, "No, I guess not."

Just then Father Norton hit the ball and it shot straight towards the pin, dropping just short of it, rolled up and fell into the hole.

IT WAS A 420 YARD HOLE IN ONE!

St. Peter was astonished. He looked at the Lord and asked, "Why did you let him do that?"

The Lord smiled and replied, "Who's he going to tell?"

I'm willing to bet that whomever is playing in this golf tournament will not miss Sunday church because the tournament is on a Monday...



Meanwhile, I'm kind of working on coming out of retirement from playing drums. NOTHING is set in stone, but there are two potential projects that have my interest.

The first is a guitarist who told a co-worker he was looking for a drummer. The guitarist plays ambient music and rock so I gave him a cassette of an Old Stew rehearsal with a 10 minute jam that I call "10 Minute Jam." The song eventually breaks into a song we were working on at the time called "Lemonade" but for the beginning of the song, it's improv. So I gave the guitarist the tape, then didn't hear anything and didn't hear anything. There was a Nine Inch Nails show that prolonged my co-worker from seeing him a week and then, I heard through my co-worker that he liked what he had heard. Late last week, my co-worker let me listen to 6 songs he had put together. The first one I heard was called "Rigor and Frost" and immediately, I could hear a Metallica ballad within it. I wanted to bash out a tom pattern immediately, on the first listen. The others are good as well - a couple of them have piano - but I really hope I can someday jam "Rigor and Frost" with him. I don't know what the next step of this will be so it'll just be a journey.

The second is Jenn, who cuts my hair, plays with a guitarist named Don. They have 2.5 hours of music together and when they get to 3, Jenn said they would be looking for bandmates. I'm not a shoo-in for this gig as I would expect them to audition drummers and maybe it'd work, maybe not. I do know that I heard Jenn sing this song with the guitarist playing in the background and I liked what I heard. This would be country music. I'm a metal head, but I can tolerate non-twangy country. My first thought is that it would be fun to just see where and how it progresses.





Just to be clear, I do not consider myself a member of either band. It may not click if I were to play in either of these situations so I guess it's wait and see.

No comments: