Thursday, November 4, 2010

Old technology

You go to a store. You buy a top-loading washing machine. You get it home, you open up the manual and the manual is all about how to operate a front loading machine. You have a top-loading machine. Your instructions do not match your product.

You call the manufacturer. "I bought a top-loading washing machine, but the instructions are for a front loading machine. Can you send me the right instructions?"

"Those are the right instructions," is the reply in your ears. "We didn't want to be known as a company that couldn't keep up with the times so we changed our instructions to be for a front-loading machine. Those are the latest and greatest and every one is using them."

"I just bought a top-loading machine. These instructions don't match what I have."

"Sorry. We don't want to deal with old technology - only new technology. When you bought your top-loading machine, was it a close-out deal or something like that."

"Not that I'm aware of."

"What's the model number?"

"20101104," you say.

"Oh, that's only a few years old. Hmm. Well, we don't want to deal with old technology."

"So, you're saying I get instructions that do not match the washing machine I just purchased? Front loading the machine isn't possible - it's not physically possible."

"We don't want to deal with old technology. I cannot do anything else for you. Would you like to complete a customer survey regarding this call?"

"Sure."

There's a pause.

"Hello? Yes, I'm your representative's supervisor and if you have a minute, I'd like to ask you about the customer service you received."

"Okay."

"Was your customer service representative courteous?"

"I guess so. The question I wanted to have answered is how do I get a manual for a top-loading washing machine."

"I'm sorry, but a top-loading machine is old technology."

"That's what your customer service rep just said."

"And they are right."

"But I have a top-loading machine that I paid for. You should give me documentation that matches the make and model I have. It says on your website that top-loading machines are available. Actually, I only see where they are listed as possible configurations if I order online."

"Hmm, I'm not in charge of the website."

"So you're saying you are not able to provide a manual for a supported make/model of your product, but you are able to provide a manual for a non-supported make/model of your product?"

"Yes, that is correct."

"Don't you think something is wrong with that?"

"No. You see, a top-loading washing machine is..."

"Let me guess. Old technology."

No comments: